Content | Navigation |

Frequently Asked Questions: Students

These are some of the common questions we have received from students.  Please remember these questions and answers are meant to be general in nature.  If you have specific questions, please contact us or ask them during your prehearing conference.

If I violated the Code, what will happen to me?

If you are found responsible for violating the Code, you will most likely be given sanctions and/or conditions, which serve as consequences for your misconduct.  Sanctions include: Warnings, Conduct Probation (Unsupervised or Supervised), Suspension and Expulsion.  Conditions include, but are not limited to: Restitution, Loss of Privileges, Participation in a Specific Program, Educational Projects and Alcohol/Drug Assessments.

I don't agree with the decision made in my case.  What can I do?

If you are sanctioned for violations of the Code, you have the right to appeal the decision.  Appeals must be made within five business days following the date the notice is received by the student and must specify in detail one or more of the following bases of appeal:

a) The sanction was too sever for the offense,
b) The decision for nonaction/action/sanction was made in an arbitrary or capricious manner,
c) The finding of the code having be violated was not substantiated by evidence, and/or
d) The student's rights were violated (specify those rights believed to have been violated).

Will this go on my record?

Yes.  Although a student's disciplinary record is separate from the student's academic record (with the exception of suspension and expulsion), it is considered a part of the student's educational record.  In addition, the information may also be a matter of public record, if the situation resulted in civil and/or criminal charges.

Disciplinary files are maintained for up to seven years; however if a student is suspended or expelled, the record is maintained indefinitely.

Do I need to disclose my conduct record on school or employment applications?

Graduate schools, professional programs, and employers may request your disciplinary record.  Sharing information up front may give you an opportunity to provide additional details or to answer questions.  Omitting information that later appears on a background check may have worse consequences than open disclosure.

I want to file a complaint against a student.  What do I do?

If you would like to report an allegation of misconduct, please contact our office.  You will be connected with an appropriate staff member who will listen to your concern, explain the complaint resolution process, help review your options, and if necessary, assist you with filing a formal complaint.

What if I feel I am a victim in an incident?

If you believe you are a victim, please contact our office for assistance.  If you feel your immediate safety is in jeopardy, contact the University Police (701-231-8998) or your local law enforcement by dialing 911.

Am I going to be suspended?

If your notice of charges letter indicates that suspension is a possible outcome, it is possible that you will be recommended for suspension.  However, NDSU takes separation from the University very seriously and utilizes other sanctions and/or conditions whenever appropriate.

This matter is being settled or has already been settled in court, so why do I have to meet with NDSU?

Your meeting with an NDSU official is an educational proceeding and is separate from the consideration of any civil and/or criminal charges.  Because these are independent processes, NDSU may achieve a resolution concerning Code violations before, during, or after any civil and/or criminal proceedings.

Also, because there is a different standard of proof in the Code proceedings, it is possible that differing decisions may occur.  Any questions that you have regarding the differences in these processes will be discussed during your pre-hearing conference.

Will my parents be notified?

Your parents will not be notified of your alleged policy violation(s), but may be notified after your hearing.  The Parental Notification Policy allows parents or guardians of students under 21 to be contacted by NDSU Student Affairs Administrators following alcohol and/or drug related incidents.

To top

Student Focused. Land Grant. Research University.

Follow NDSU
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • RSS
  • Google Maps

Site Manager: Emily Frazier

Published by: Student Rights and Responsibilities

Last Updated: Monday, August 17, 2009
Privacy Statement