All international students are required to schedule an International Student Screening appointment with Student Health Service (SHS) regardless of which country they are from within 2 weeks of their arrival on campus.
How do I schedule an appointment?
- Scheduling instructions for Fall 2020 can be found by Clicking Here.
- Fall 2020 dates are 08/21/2020 - 09/04/2020
- Students will be able to schedule appointments starting August 16, 2020
What will happen at this appointment?
- Please plan appropriate travel time and allow 30-60 minutes for your screening appointment.
- Students will be screened for Tuberculosis (TB) and will receive any missing immunizations.
- Students will be asked what country they are from and what countries they have traveled to.
- If a student has not traveled or lived in a high risk country for longer than 30 days, then TB testing is not needed.
- If a student has lived in or traveled to a high risk country for longer than 30 days, then TB testing will be performed. If TB testing comes back as negative, then no further action is needed unless further immunizations are needed. If TB testing comes back as positive, a TB follow up appointment will be required.
What if I have immunization records, can I turn them in?
- See Immunization Requirements below.
What if I have previous TB records?
- See TB Records below.
What will happen to those students who are not compliant with this process?
- A registration hold will be placed on any student accounts for non-compliant students. The registration hold prevents students from being able to register for any future classes. Holds may be placed for any of the following reasons:
- A student does not schedule their screening appointment during the required time frame
- A student has a positive TB test and does not schedule their follow up appointment
- A student is missing required immunizations
- SHS will attempt to contact students via NDSU email and/or secure messaging through the Student Health Portal so students should be familiar with the their email account and Patient Portal.
- If students do not respond to the communication efforts by SHS and do not comply with this requirement, your enrollment status at NDSU could be impacted.
Will insurance cover the cost of the screening appointment?
- International students are required to carry the United Healthcare Student Resources (UHCSR) insurance policy, however, there are some exceptions where students will carry a different insurance plan. For those students with UHCSR, the TB testing and immunization costs are covered at 100%. For those students carrying a different insurance plan, please check with your insurance company directly regarding coverage.
- Please see our Billing page for more information on our billing process.
- International students must meet the same immunization requirements as all other students - see Immunizations. However, international students do not need to have documentation submitted by the deadlines posted as they can wait to receive all immunizations upon arrival to NDSU at the International Student Screening appointment.
- Students can submit immunization records from outside countries as long as they include the following information:
- We ask that students DO NOT receive any immunizations 30 days prior to their arrival to NDSU as some immunizations can delay the TB testing.
- SHS will NOT accept TB testing from outside countries.
- We will accept TB testing results from transfer students who receive TB testing in the US but it must be a Quantiferon blood test.
The NDUS requires all international students to have adequate health insurance in place and verified, but in some cases a waiver may be allowed. Student Health Service does not handle these requests or questions, so please reference the following pages for additional information on this process:
- Office of International Student and Study Abroad Services, including their Health Insurance page.
- The NDUS Insurance Waiver website