Content | Navigation |

Help for Survivors

Click here for a list of emergency numbers that may be useful.

Are you safe?  Your safety and well-being are the highest priority. If you are unsure where to go or can think of nowhere that is safe for you at this time, please consider calling Rape and Abuse Crisis Center at 701-293-7273 for emergency shelter.

Consider calling a trusted friend, relative, or a counselor.  These people can provide you with the support and care you may need at this time.

You should consider seeking medical care. You may need to receive basic medical treatment for injuries, and you may have injuries of which you are not aware at this time.  Here are some options in the Fargo-Moorhead area:

- Student Health Services at NDSU can provide you with screening and treatment for sexually transmitted infections (STI) and pregnancy

- The emergency facilities at both Sanford Health and Essentia Health can provide care for injuries.  In addition, both have on-call Sexual Assault Nurse Examiners (SANE) who are trained to treat injuries and collect evidence.  Please note: According to Sanford Health, “SANEs are required under N.D. law to report to local law enforcement sexual assaults which may have caused injury. However, the victim has the right to choose to have evidence collected and to decide whether to cooperate with law enforcement by providing information.”

You may choose to file a report with the police, either campus police or local law enforcement.  To reach Fargo Police call 911.  To reach NDSU Police call 231-8998.  They are both available 24 hours per day, 7 days a week.

If you choose to file a report with the police, it is important to try not to bathe, shower, brush your teeth, drink, or even use the restroom. All these things destroy physical evidence that may be helpful in a criminal investigation.  

Please seek some form of emotional support. While taking care of your physical needs may be the first step in taking care of yourself, it is important not to neglect the emotions you may be experiencing as a result of the assault.

Know that you are not alone. There are people who can help you process what you are experiencing and explain the options that are available to you at this time.

 It is your choice to determine when and in what manner you recover from your trauma. It is up to you to make the decisions that will be the best for you.

You may contact Kelsey Keimig, Assistant Director of Sexual Assault Prevention and Advocacy.  Kelsey works closely with campus resources and may assist you in determining what, if any, steps you wish to take. She can also put you in touch with the Student Health Service staff, the NDSU Police, and the Counseling Center, as well as off-campus resources. Kelsey will respect your wishes with regard to whether you wish for this matter to be reported officially and how you want to proceed. During business hours, call the office at 701-231-5733 to reach Kelsey directly.

Remember, no matter what, the assault was not your fault.

Information from the this section has been adapted and modified, with permission, from the William and Mary Sexual Assault Resources and Education web site

Student Focused. Land Grant. Research University.

Follow NDSU
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • RSS
  • Google Maps


North Dakota State University
Phone: +1 (701) 231-7331/ Fax: (701) 231-6132
Campus address: Wallman Wellness Center 102
Physical/delivery address: 18th Street and Centennial Blvd., Fargo, ND 58102
Mailing address: NDSU Dept. 2842 / PO Box 6050 / Fargo, ND 58108-6050
Site manager

Last Updated: Monday, August 21, 2017 4:25:38 PM
Privacy Statement