A majority of students finish their homework before class at least 90 percent of the time.
Why is it important to make homework completion my priority?
- Because you want to obtain all the points possible for your courses, completing your homework is a necessity if it is a graded assignment.
- If you get assigned homework for practice rather than a grade (such as reading), do it anyway! The incentive should always be to understand the material, and your understanding early on will lead to success in the class and on the exams later.
- Completing your homework before class gives you an idea of what you understand and what you do not. If you have a question, talk to the professor, classmate, or tutor and make sure you understand before the next class. Ignoring what you don’t know will only cause you to fall further behind.
How can I make sure to always complete my homework prior to class?
- Keep a planner to make sure you are aware of when all the assignments are due.
- Create time in your daily routine to work on homework for specific courses. If you already have time set aside for your class, you can make sure to finish all of the assignments during that period.
- Figure out which environments you learn best and minimize distractions. If you are more likely to study if you are working with someone else, find a study partner. If you know that your cellphone is a distraction, challenge yourself to stow it in your backpack until you are done with your assignment.