The Sophomore Year Experience Steering Committee
The Sophomore Year Experience Steering Committee was formed through a partnership with Vice-President for Student Affairs Prakash Mathew and Provost and Vice-President for Academic Affairs Craig Schnell on December 19, 2008.
The Steering Committee was charged to analyze existing Sophomore Year Experience Programs at universities nationwide as well as analyze current NDSU sophomore retention data. The main goal was to develop a Sophomore Year Experience program that increased student retention at NDSU.
Initial results of the data analysis indicated that students at NDSU had a desire to know more about the following:
- How academic advisors can further assist students with academic planning
- The different career options associated with each major
- How to discover and explore other options for majors
- Knowledge of what specific skills and traits employers want to see from college students
- The various financial aid options available
- The multiple involvement opportunities on campus
The Steering Committee has three subcommittees including the Communications and Website Committee, the Programming Committee, and the Mid-Term Grades Committee.
The original members of the Sophomore Year Experience Steering Committee include:
- Co-Chair, Laura Oster-Aaland, Director, Orientation & Student Success
- Co-Chair, Robert Harrold, Assistant Dean, VP for Academic Affairs
- Robert Dirk, Academic Advisor, College of Human Development & Education
- Viet Doan, Manager, Enrollment Management Technology Services
- Gary Fisher, Director, Wellness Center
- Linda Fricker, Academic Advisor, College of Arts, Humanities & Social Sciences
- Michael Harwood, Assistant Dean of Student Life
- Joseph Heilman, Student Body President
- Cynthia Naughton, Associate Dean, College of Pharmacy, Nursing & Allied Sciences
- Emily Olson, Student
- Tim Peterson, Associate Dean, College of Business
- William Slanger, Director, Institutional Research & Analysis
- Steve Winfrey, Director, Memorial Union
- Kristi Wold-McCormick, Registrar, Registration & Records
For questions regarding the Sophomore Year Experience Committee and it's work, please use the "Ask a question" link in the left column. Thanks for visiting our site.