Project Title: Performance Assessment: DVD Recording of Student Clinic
Award number: #0301
Project Leader: Dean Gross
Report Period: Mid-year
- Evaluation methods are needed to assess the physical assessment skills of undergraduate and graduate nursing students. Faculty traditionally have provided student feedback based on direct observation of physical assessment skills. Direct observation/evaluation of the student is currently in "real time" allowing no opportunity for reflective appraisal of the students' health assessment skills. The project director would like to videotape students' health assessment encounters in the observation room in Sudro Hall. These digital recordings would subsequently be "burned" onto a DVD for faculty and student evaluation after the encounter, providing faculty and students the ability to repeatedly and comprehensively review individual assessment skills.
Progress toward Milestones:
- 8/3/03 Digital camera and DVD burning software installed in Sudro observation room. Numerous delays occurred in securing the camera and associated operating equipment. The delays were related to my desire to secure the most economical method of buying the hardware. Thus, even though I was delayed in the start I ended up with the product that is most suited to the desired outcome for the project. For example the camera cost was nearly $2000 less than if I had bought it locally. The careful selection of associated products has allowed be to effectively use the grant monies and better serve the needs of the students.
- 10/15/03 Graduate Nursing Students are videotaped and copy of DVD provided to faculty/student for review. Didn't occur on the scheduled date secondary to a delay in setting up the camera and DVD recorder in the observation room. After several weeks of reviewing software and camera functions I am currently able to directly link the camera to the computer via a firewire. Once the student session is completed the computer immediately burns the DVD. The camera and DVD recorder have been functional since the start of final exams with over 12 DVDs burned of student interactions. Faculty student review of the DVDs will occur at the beginning of the spring semester secondary to time restrictions at the end of the fall semester.
- 12/12/03 Graduate Nursing Students complete survey on utilization of DVD, Faculty review impact on student learning. Once all the exams have been completed and opportunity for faculty student review occurs, the surveys will be distributed. Final exams for students started 12/9/03 and will be completed on 12/16/03. I anticipate completion of the surveys in late January 2004. The delay should not have any significant impact on the project goals.
- 5/7/04 Undergraduate Nursing Students complete survey on utilization of DVD, Faculty review impact on student learning.
To be done in 2004:
- 5/12/04 Faculty compare Undergraduate and Graduate student performance and consider changes to enhance curriculum for fall 2004
The setting up of the system was far more challenging than anticipated. I have spent a significant amount of time learning about video camera operations, video software and burning to a DVD. What I have learned about the technology and associated development is not currently available in the literature. My initial impression in reviewing the DVD video is students will be amazed on how good they are in some assessment activities and other areas where they need to improve in when doing health assessments. I believe the long hours in preparing the observation room for DVD recording will provide invaluable learning for faculty and students.
NDSU fund number: 1534
YTD expenses: 3245.00
Anticipated remaining expenses: 0.00
Unspent amount: 0.00