In order for each student to gain the most from the program, he or she is expected to commit to the Upward Bound program objectives. The following commitments are meant to instill a sense of responsibility and accountability in participants.
- Dedicate oneself to the pursuit of learning, respect for all, role-modeling, and responsibility;
- Participate in all activities of both the academic year and summer components of the program;
- Be fully engaged in program activities;
- Meet monthly with an Upward Bound staff member;
- Attend monthly UB Saturdays (9:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m.)
Parents/Guardians usually play the most significant role in student achievement. Student participation in Upward Bound also requires a commitment from parents/guardians to support their student as well as the Upward Bound program objectives.
- Monitor student's school attendance and performance;
- Support good study habits at home and monitor homework completion;
- Ensure transportation to and from Upward Bound activities during the academic year and summer program;
- Allow student full participation in all Upward Bound activities, which may require scheduling around Upward Bound required dates/events.