For a successful academic advising relationship to evolve, both the student and the academic advisor have responsibilities.
Student responsibilities include:
- learning North Dakota State University policies and procedures.
- knowing graduation requirements for degree program.
- understanding and accepting the consequences of their academic decisions.
- seeking, evaluating, and acting upon advising assistance.
- taking responsibility for accomplishing his/her degree plan.
Academic Advisor responsibilities include:
- assisting students in achieving the learning outcomes of their academic program, their college, and the university.
- referring students to appropriate campus resources.
- empowering students to develop an academic plan appropriate to the student’s abilities, interests, academic and career goals.
- communicating university policies and procedures accurately.