A variety of resources are provided here to help allies learn more about military and veteran students. This page will be updated periodically with new resources. Allies who are aware of other resources that merit sharing with the VALOR community should send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Primary Training Resource - PsychArmor Institute
VALOR is using dozens of free training resources available at the PsychArmor Institute for baseline training and advanced training opportunities for allies. This site offers a wide variety of courses designed to enhance knowledge about topics relevant to veterans (see the course library ). Allies need to register on the site (this registration is free) to complete the courses. The site then tracks completion of these short courses via a transcript and awards badges. VALOR is working with PsychArmor to set up a NDSU-specific tracing system. In the interim, the general PsychArmor system will track your course completion and badge levels. PsychArmor course completions are one of the items considered regarding the VALOR Ally of the Year Award.
Allies are required to complete - 15 Things Veterans Want You to Know.
The VALOR Star Pathway allows you to earn stars specific to completion of designated coursework blocks (all courses are found at: https://psycharmor.org/course-library/). These stars will be integrated into our ally listing and each star unit should be completed before moving on to more advanced units.
VALOR Ally: One Star
VALOR Ally: Two Stars
VALOR Ally: Three Stars
6. Helping Others Hold On
VALOR Ally: Four Stars
Complete an additional eight PsychArmor courses of your choice.
Other Important Ally Resources
- Educational Benefits Presentation from the VA (Vital Webinar Series)
- NDSU Policy 146 on Military Orders
- Military Reference Guide
- Return from Chaos:Treating PTSD
- Benefit Summary
- Veterans on Campus: Do's and Don'ts by Kognito
- Male Survivors of Military Sexual Trauma
- Military Sexual Trauma Among U.S. Servicewomen During Deployment
- Veterans in College Face Unique Challenges
- Supporting Military-Connected Students (American Council on Education)
- Military Connected Students (American Council of Education and NSAPA - Student Affairs Administrators in Higher Education)
- Toolkit for Veteran-Friendly Institutions(American Council on Education)
Past VALOR Newsletters