The Jim Falck Viterbo Scholarship began with generous donations from NDSU alum, Jim Falck, a world traveller, artist and art advocate who believed that students from NDSU need to “see the world!” Jim knew that the same inspiration that he garnered from his time at Viterbo, would change the lives of student artists. Upon his passing in 2013, an endowment was established to continue this scholarship among many other programs in Visual Arts at NDSU.
This award goes to an art major to take classes through Montserrat College of Art/Viterbo, Italy. Spend four weeks in Viterbo, Italy next summer, choosing from courses in Art History, Figure Drawing and Painting, Landscape Painting, Landscape Photography and Journal Writing. A non-credit course in Fresco Painting is also offered. There will be approximately 25 students from around the world taking these classes at Viterbo. Total cost for program is approximately $5800, the scholarship covers $2500 of this cost. The student is expected to pay the remainder of the program fee plus airfare to Boston, modest transportation costs, as well as food and art supplies/books. Your housing, tuition and flights to and from Boston are included in the $5800 fee, which is through the Montserrat School of Art in the Boston area. This scholarship money is only available to one student. Student must be a visual arts major in good academic standing. Viterbo, Italy is described in the Montserrat College flyer as being, “a pure and complete townlet of the Middle Ages within a city that has distinctive fountains, more stone shields than old walls should be forced to carry and austerely harmonious piazza.” Viterbo is located 65 miles outside of Rome.
- FULL-TIME student
- Visual Arts major at NDSU
- GPA of 3.0 or better
Application Step-by-step Process
- Gather information and writing: You will need to know your cumulative G.P.A. (3.0 Min. Requirement), your degree track (BFA, BS, BA), your emphasis area, year in the program, and your anticipated graduation semester and year. You will also answer a short essay question that is included in this power point application.
- Assemble Support images of Artwork: Select FIVE images of art work that best represents the quality of your work from anything you have made while a student at NDSU.
- Complete and Submit this application form.
- Post Application: The faculty will score applications based on the quality of work presented and the content of your answer to the essay question. The winner will be announced within two weeks of application deadline.