Leader of the Livestock & Environmental Stewardship Program. Member of the NRM and Livestock program teams within ANR. Extension programing focused in the areas of environmental management and stewardship including: livestock, range and grazing management, water quality, integrated crop livestock systems, reclamation and environmental policy. My research interest are focused on environmental stewardship and livestock-environmental interactions including: range and riparian ecology, grazing management, integrated crop livestock systems, water quality, reclamation.
1. Green, A.W., T.M. DeSutter, M.A. Meehan, and A.L.M. Daigh. 2021. Brine spill remediation utilizing capillary transport and wicking materials in loam and silty clay soils. Agricultural & Environmental Letters. 5:e220237. https://doi.org/10.1002/agg2.20237.
2.Smart, A.J., K. Harmony, J.D. Scasta, M.B. Stephenson, J.D. Volesky, L.T. Vermeire, J. Mosely, K. Sedivec, M. Meehan, T. Haigh, J. Derner, M. McClaran. 2021. Critical Decision Dates for Drought Management in Central and Northern Great Plains Rangelands. Rangeland Ecology & Management. 78:191-200. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rama.2019.09.005.
3. Meehan, M.A., P.L. O’Brien, G.A. Hecker, and J.L. Printz. 2021. Integrating Rangeland Health and Stream Stability in Assessments of Rangeland Watersheds. Rangeland Ecology & Management. 75: 104-111. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rama.2020.12.005.
4. Green, A., T. DeSutter, M. Meehan, A.L.M. Daigh, and P. O’Brien. 2020. The Remediation of Brine-Impacted Soils and the Impact of Brine on soil physical, chemical, and biological properties: A Review. Agroecosytems, Geosciences & Environment.
5. Green, A.W., M.A. Meehan, and T.M. DeSutter. 2020. Germination of Selected Crop and Graminoid Species in Response to NaCl and Oil-Field Brine Induced Salinity. Canadian Journal of Plant Science. https://doi.org/10.1139/CJPS-2019-0261.
6. Meehan, M.A. and P.L. O'Brien. 2020. Using Areal Composition of Riparian Vegetation Communities to Identify Thresholds in Prairie Streams Rangeland Ecology & Management. 73: 162-179. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rama.2019.09.004.
7. Meehan, M.A. and P.L. O'Brien. 2019. Using the Rosgen Stream Classification System to aid in Riparian Complex Ecological Site Descriptions Development. Rangeland Ecology & Management. 72: 729-735. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rama.2019.05.001
8. Green, A.W., T.M. DeSutter, A.L.M. Daigh, and M.A. Meehan. 2019. Wicking Salts from Brine-Contaminated Soils: A Potential Method for In-Situ Remediation. Agricultural & Environmental Letters. 4: 1-4. doi: 10.2134/ael2018.12.0069.
9. Hecker, G.A., M.A. Meehan and J.E. Norland. 2019. Plant Community Influences on Intermittent Stream Stability in the Great Plains. Rangeland Ecology & Management. 72: 112-119. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rama.2018.08.002.
Society for Range Management Outstanding Young Range Professional Award. 2022.
NDSU Extension Program Excellence Award. 2021. Miranda Meehan, Tom Scherer,
Hannah Nordby, Yolanda Schmidt, Brenden Klebe, Lindy Berg, Julianne Racine, Paige Brummund, Shelby Hewson, Breana Kiser, Brian Zimprich, Ashley Ueckert, Katelyn Landeis, Craig Askim, Dan Folske, Emily Leier, Calla Edwards, Rachel Wald, Renae Gress, Tessa Osterbauer, Max Robison, Rick Schmidt, Devan Leo, Sheldon Gerhardt, Chandy Howard, Kelly Leo, Sara Clemens, Sarah Crimmins, Jeff Gale, Travis Binde, Tyler Kralicek, Greg Benz, Crystal Schaunaman, Mark Miller, Scott Knoke, Angie Johnson, Duane Marxen, Heidi Marxen, Bethany Gates, Brooks Warner, Bowman-Slope Soil Conservation District, North Dakota Department of Environmental Quality. Livestock Water Quality Program.
NDSU Extension Program Excellence Award. 2019. Miranda Meehan, Kevin Sedivec, Hannah Nordby, Erin Gaugler, Kelcey Hoffmann, Greg Benz, Katie Wirt, Tessa Keller, Penny Nester, Sheldon Gerhardt, Rachel Wald, Crystal Schaunaman, Morgan Wisness, Devan Leo, Calla Edwards, Craig Askim, Marissa Leier, Katelyn Hain, Rick Schmidt, Yolanda Schmidt, Nicole Wardner, Shelby Hewson, Lindy Berg, Paige Brummund, Lindsay Maddock. Gearing Up for Grazing Program.
Editor’s Choice Award. Volume 72, Issue 5 of Rangeland Ecology & Management. Meehan, M.A. and P.L. O'Brien. 2019. Using the Rosgen Stream Classification System to aid in Riparian Complex Ecological Site Descriptions Development. Rangeland Ecology & Management. 72: 729-735. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rama.2019.05.001
North Dakota chapter of the Association for Communication Excellence Communicator of the Year. 2018.
Myron and Muriel Johnsrud Excellence in Extension/Outreach Award. 2017.
Nominee for Myron and Muriel Johnsrud Excellence in Extension/Outreach Award. 2016.
NDSU Extension Program Excellence Award. 2016. Carl Dahlen, Miranda Meehan, Fara Brummer, Kevin Sedivec, Karl Hoppe, John Dhuyvetter, Danielle Steinhoff, Paige Brummund, Yolanda Schmidt, Mark Miller, Katelyn Hain, Bradley Brummond, Kelcey Hoffmann, Megan Vig, Angela Johnson, Brian Zimprich, Breana Kiser, Nicole Wardner, Timothy Becker, Lindsay Maddock, Joel Lemer, Kelsie Egeland, Ashley Stegeman, Sheldon Gerhardt, Crystal Schaunaman, Craig Askim, Katie Wirt, Jackie Buckley, Richard Schmidt, Duaine Marxen, Becky Buchmann, Kurt Froelich. The Ditch Hay Program.
This is the prefooter section
1230 Albrecht Blvd, Fargo ND 58102
Mailing address: NDSU Dept. 7520, PO Box 6050, Fargo, ND 58108-6050
North Dakota State University is distinctive as a student-focused, land-grant, research university. NDSU Agricultural Affairs educates students with interests in agriculture, food systems and natural resources; fosters communities through partnerships that educate the public; provides creative, cost-effective solutions to current problems; and pursues fundamental and applied research to help shape a better world.