Dacotah Field, originally located north of Festival Hall (where today is the mall, the area to the east of the Memorial Student Union), had its beginnings in 1910. Plans called for the field to be encircled with a very substantial and artistic fence donated by Mr. C.F. Leonard, representing the American Steel and Wire Fence Company. At about a distance of eight feet to the inside and paralleling the fence, the planners planted a hedge that added to the general attractiveness of the field screened it from the view of those who seek something for nothing. Until the hedge grew to an effective height a canvas wall was employed for this purpose. Work begun on the erection of the fence in the early fall of 1910 but it was not expected that the field will be ready for that year's fall athletic events (Beacon Across the Prairie, p. 71; The Weekly Spectrum, October 25, 1910, p. 1).
1310 17th Avenue North
Fargo, ND 58102