Faculty members in the Mechanical Engineering Department are engaged in cutting-edge research projects in materials science, advanced energy technologies, computational and experimental fluid dynamics, biomedical engineering, and autonomous systems, among other areas. This research has been funded by a variety of state, private, and federal agencies including the National Science Foundation, Department of Defense, Department of Transportation, Department of Energy, ND Department of Commerce, ND Soybean Council, ND Corn Council, AGCO, and General Electric. Numerous undergraduate and graduate students are supported on funded research projects each year, with annual research expenditures exceeding $1.3M in FY 2018.
Research Focus Areas
- Advanced Composites and Nanomaterials
- Sustainable Materials
- Surface Enhancement and Additive Manufacturing
- Advanced Energy Technologies
- Mechatronics and Robotics
- Biomechanics and Biofluidics
- Computational and Experimental Fluid Mechanics
- Engineering Education and Pedagogy
Visit our faculty pages to learn more about specific research opportunities in the Mechanical Engineering Department.