BBQ Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Looking for an easy meal that is both sweet and savory? Our BBQ Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes are just the ticket. The tang of the bbq sauce and the sweetness of the sweet potato combine to create a flavor unlike any other.
This meal uses something we like to call “planned overs.” Planned-overs or planning for leftovers in your weekly menu not only can save you time but also help you avoid wasting food. This recipe utilizes leftover chicken but you could swap in other lean meats like ground beef or turkey. Top with your favorite toppings and you’ll have a colorful meal that will satisfy even the pickiest of eaters. This meal will make you wish you had leftovers of your leftovers.
Need more menu planning tips check out Now Serving: Tasty Healthful Meals on a Budget Week 1: Meal Planning Tips, Menus and Recipes
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- ½ lb. chicken breast, cooked
- ¼ c. barbecue sauce
- ½ c. cheddar cheese, shredded
- ¼ c. red onion, diced
- ¼ c. fresh cilantro
Cook sweet potatoes using one of the following methods:
- Microwave – Pierce sweet potatoes with a fork. Place in a microwave safe dish and microwave on high for 8-10 minutes or until fork tender.
- Multi-cooker - 1 cup water in bottom. Pierce sweet potatoes with a fork. Place on trivet in pot. Lock cover in place and set vent to closed. Manual setting for 15 minutes or until fork tender.
- Oven - Pierce sweet potatoes with a fork. Place in an oven-safe dish. Bake 400 F for 50 minutes or until fork tender.
Cook or reheat chicken to 165 F. Shred chicken and add in barbecue sauce. Mix until chicken is coated. Top each sweet potato with a quarter of the chicken, cheese, onion and cilantro.