This healthy recipe comes from NDSU Extension.
- 2 1/2 pounds fresh, ripe tomatoes, halved
- 4 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 Tbsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper, plus more to taste
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 10 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 (14 1/2-ounce) cans fire-roasted tomatoes with juices
- 3 c. fresh basil leaves, lightly packed
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 6 c. unsalted vegetable stock
- 1 tsp. sugar, depending on sweetness of tomatoes
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large rimmed sheet pan, combine the fresh tomatoes, 2 tablespoons olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast in an even layer for 45 to 60 minutes. While tomatoes are roasting, in a heavy large pot, saute onions in olive oil for one minute. Add garlic and saute another minute. Add the fire-roasted tomatoes with juices, fresh basil, oregano and vegetable stock. Stir to combine well.
Add your oven-roasted tomatoes (and any liquid that may be on baking sheet) and bring to a low boil. Simmer for 30 minutes uncovered. Use an immersion blender or food processor to puree soup until desired texture. Add 1 teaspoon of sugar to taste, if needed. Add additional salt and/or black pepper as needed.