Appealing a parking citation
If you believe a parking citation was issued in error, you may file an appeal by completing the online citation appeal form within five business days of the date the citation was issued.
If an appeal contains crude, threatening, abusive, or otherwise inappropriate language, it will be denied immediately.
The initial appeals will be administratively reviewed by NDSU Parking and Transportation Services staff members and does not involve an appearance. You will be notified by e-mail with the decision of the appeal. If the administrative review is denied, you are obligated to pay the fine.
If you believe the administrative appeal decision does not comply with the NDSU Parking Regulations, you may respond to the appeal notification within five business days to request to meet with the NDSU Parking Appeals Board. All decisions of the NDSU Parking Appeals Board are final.
Rationale for appeals
Appeals at all levels are reviewed based upon the information presented and in accordance with the NDSU Parking Regulations.
The following are generally not considered valid reasons for an appeal:
- Failure to properly display a permit (to include pay station receipts)
- Unfamiliarity with the area or rules
- Failure to notice or understand parking signs
- Parked illegally for a short period of time
- Late to class or appointment
- Plenty of other spaces available
- Never received the physical citation
- Displayed a note on the vehicle
- Inability to pay the fine
- Inclement weather
- No other place to park
- Others didn't receive citations
- Violation not previously enforced
- Someone else had possession of the vehicle