March 5 and 6, 2019 | NDSU Challey School of Music
Join us on the campus of North Dakota State University on Tuesday or Wednesday, March 5-6, 2019 for the Raging Red Band Festival—a truly unique opportunity for your band students! Spend a day with us in experiences that will help your students become stronger performers and a better band, including:
- An opportunity to perform in Festival Concert Hall, the largest concert hall in the region.
- Feedback from three nationally recognized adjudicators, both in comments and in clinic sessions with the adjudicators actually spending time working with your band.
- Clinics with the NDSU instrumental faculty on everyone’s instruments throughout the day.
- Performances by the NDSU Wind Symphony—a chance to hear a university-level band.
- A chance to hear other bands like yours in performance!
- Spend time on the campus of North Dakota State University and find out more about being in a college environment.
Participating bands should plan for a half-day of participation to fully benefit from the activities of the day. You may choose the block of time that best works for you; whether it’s from 8:00 AM to noon, 11:00 AM to 3:00 PM, or something similar. We strongly suggest all bands attempt to be on campus no later than 11:15 AM on the day you are attending the Raging Red Band Festival.
Throughout the day, your students will have a chance to work with NDSU faculty in clinics that address playing on their specific instrument. If you miss a session, don’t worry—there will be several throughout the day for your students to attend.
NDSU Wind Symphony in Performance
The NDSU Wind Symphony will perform on both days of the festival. This is a wonderful opportunity for your students to hear a college-level band, composed of students much like themselves! Plan to build this performance into your schedule as part of your day at NDSU.
Bands will perform for an adjudicated rating or for comments only.
Each band will be given 25 minutes in the warm up area. Each band will proceed to the stage and will have 25 minutes to enter, perform, and exit the stage. Bands will then move to the clinic room where they will have 25 minutes with the adjudicator.
- Bands will be classified by grade level. Bands using multiple grades will register for the highest grade level in the band. Judges will be informed as to the grade level make up of each band.
- Bands are encouraged to play 2 or more selections of contrasting styles. Bands will provide 3 original and numbered scores for the adjudication panel. Photocopies of scores are acceptable if accompanied by publisher’s letter for those out of print or proof of purchase for backordered scores.
- All bands have the option to participate for ratings or comments, only.
- Awards will be presented based on the average of the 3 adjudicator’s scores
- Gold Award- 90-100. Silver Award- 80-89 Bronze Award- 79 and below
- Outstanding Section Awards will be given based on an adjudicator’s recommendations.
- Outstanding Soloist Awards will be given based on an adjudicator’s recommendations.
Click below to open the Raging Red Registration Form:
- Registration Form (PDF)
Registration fee is $265. Additional band registation is $215 each.
Checks should be made NDSU Challey School of Music and mailed along with the completed registration form to:
Raging Red Band Festival
NDSU Challey School of Music
PO Box 6050 Dept. 2334
Fargo, ND 58108-6050
PLEASE NOTE: If the number of bands exceeds the available spaces, we will accept bands according to postmark date. We urge you to register as soon as possible!