NDSU to remember students who died
NDSU Student Government and Residence Hall Association have planned a ceremony to pay tribute to NDSU students who have died since 2012. The ceremony is scheduled for Friday, Nov. 22, at 3 p.m., in the Memorial Union Arikara room.
NDSU students will remember:
- Jordan Playle, a marketing major from Elk River, Minn.
- Danielle Renninger, a marketing major from Excelsior, Minn.
- Lauren Peterson, a first-year student from Prior Lake, Minn.
- Megan Sample, an apparel, retail and merchandising design major from Rogers, Minn.
- Colby Anderson, a criminal justice major from Fargo
- Amanda Weitgenant, a music major from Ham Lake, Minn.
“NDSU students, faculty and staff frequently say, ‘once a Bison, always a Bison,’” said Erik Diederich, student body vice president. “As we honor these students, we remember their contributions, passions and memories. We are assuring that Jordan, Danielle, Lauren, Megan, Colby and Amanda have a permanent memorial at NDSU.”
The ceremony will highlight the purpose of trees that have been planted in memory of each student. Plaques that will be placed under each tree will be displayed at the ceremony.
The trees for Playle, Renninger, Peterson and Sample are planted near Sevrinson Hall where three of the four women lived and where the friends often socialized. The tree for Anderson, a rodeo enthusiast, is planted near the NDSU Equine Center. Weitgenant’s tree is planted near Reineke Fine Arts Center where she pursued her passion for music.
This is the first tree-planting and remembrance ceremony. NDSU Student Government initiated and led the effort as a formal way for students to remember classmates and friends who died during their time at NDSU.
Speakers at the ceremony will include:
- Dean L. Bresciani, NDSU President
- Prakash Mathew, Vice President for Student Affairs
- Erik Diederich, Student Body Vice President
- Jack Burns, Residence Hall Association President