FOR THE LAND AND ITS PEOPLE
This six-word motto is central to the mission of the North Dakota Agricultural Experiment Station (AES). Our research goals are to find solutions and discover opportunities that enhance the quality of life, sustain food, feed, fiber and fuel production, and protect our heritage - the great land and resources of North Dakota.
The North Dakota AES develops and shares technology and information important to these goals. The research projects throughout the North Dakota AES are poised to meet the many challenges and opportunities that North Dakota faces in economic development, land and water use, crop and livestock production, value-added activities, and food quality and food safety.
Researchers are associated with on-campus departments and one school within the NDSU College of Agriculture, Food Systems, and Natural Resources or with off-campus Research Extension Centers strategically placed through-out the state. The researchers of the Agricultural Experiment Station work interactively on applied, basic and advanced research that contributes to the mission.
We are committed to research that will allow North Dakotans to succeed in this new century, a commitment achieved by addressing their local, regional, national and global information and technology needs.
- Greg Lardy, Director, North Dakota Agricultural Experiment Station
JOIN OUR TEAM
If you want to conduct research that enhances the economic development, quality of life, sustainability of production and protection of the environment while impacting agriculture’s $30.8 billion economic contribution to North Dakota, then explore a career with N.D. Agricultural Experiment Station.
The North Dakota Agricultural Experiment Station (NDAES) was established in 1890 (approved by the First Session of the Legislative Assembly of the State of North Dakota, Bismarck). The State of North Dakota approved the establishment of the NDAES according to the Hatch Act, the federal legislation passed in 1887 that established state Experiment Stations. The purpose of the U.S. Hatch Act was “to promote efficient production, marketing distribution and utilization of products of farm as essential to health and welfare of our peoples and….to assure agriculture’s position in research equal to that of industry.”
Currently, the NDAES consists of seven research extension centers located throughout the state and the main station location on the campus of North Dakota State University. The total acreage of the research extension centers and the main station comprise approximately 20,000 acres. Much of the property of the research extension centers was donated to the state by local communities.
A timeline of some of the significant events and personnel in the history of the NDAES.
- North Dakota Agricultural Experiment Station (NDAES) established at Fargo, ND
- C.B. Waldron appointed as first faculty member of NDAES; served NDSU for 55 years
- H. L. Bolley joined NDAES as botanist and plant pathologist; served as first coach of NDAC football team
Horace E. Stockbridge, first NDAES Director
- North Dakota Agricultural College (NDAC) established at Fargo, ND; Offices were located on the 3rd floor over the Red River Bank on 11 Broadway, Fargo
John H. Worst, NDAES Director
- First sub-station constructed at Edgeley, ND (closed in 1969)
- Dickinson, ND Experiment Station established for agricultural and grass research
- Williston, ND Experiment Station established for irrigated crops and dryland farming practices research
- First greenhouse erected for Fargo Experiment Station scientists
- Langdon, ND Experiment Station established
- Hettinger, ND Experiment Station established
Thomas Cooper, NDAES Director
- C.B. Waldron chosen to be Dean of Agriculture at NDAC; L.R. Waldron appointed as Fargo Experiment Station plant breeder
- Wanda Weniger appointed plant pathologist with the ND Agricultural Experiment Station (first woman faculty member of the N.D. Agricultural Experiment Station)
P. F. Trowbridge, NDAES Director
- Morrill Hall built on Fargo campus; current home of NDAES and home to many Departments within the College throughout the years
H. L. Walster, NDAES Director
H. C. Hanson, NDAES Director
H. L. Walster, NDAES Director
- North Central Experiment Station at Minot, ND was established
- Agronomy Seed Farm, Casselton, ND was established
- Williston Research Station relocated to present site
- Soil Testing Lab started at NDAC
Glenn C. Holm, NDAES Director
Arlon G. Hazen, NDAES Director; served as acting NDAC President from June, 1961 to January, 1962
- Carrington Experiment Station established at Carrington, ND, as Carrington Irrigation Branch Station
- North Dakota Agricultural College becomes North Dakota State University of Agriculture and Applied Sciences
- First center pivot irrigation system in North Dakota installed at the Carrington Irrigation Station
- Oakes Irrigation Research Site established in Oakes, ND as part of the Carrington Station
H. Roald Lund, NDAES Director
- Central Grasslands Research Station established at Streeter, ND
- Land Research Reclamation Research Center opened in Mandan, ND (closed 1995)
- First Research Extension Center established at the Carrington Experiment Station
- Wheat Plot No. 2 and Flax Plot No. 30 on Main Station gain entry into the National Register of Historic Places
Robert Todd, NDAES Director
- State Board of Agricultural Research (SBAR) established by ND Legislature; Law changed in 1999 legislative session to include the NDSU Extension Service - to become State Board of Agricultural Research and Education (SBARE); Director of NDAES is a standing member of committee
Patricia Jensen, NDAES Director
Ken Grafton served as NDAES Director from 2002-2018; served as interim Provost from 2018-2019.
- Initial construction began on the AES Greenhouse facility, located west of 18th Street, north of the historic wheat plots and south of the Animal Nutrition Physiology Center.
- The Department of Agribusiness and Applied Economics moves into the new Richard H. Barry Hall which was dedicated on October 2, 2009.
- The Beef Cattle Research Complex was dedicated in 2011. It is a state-of-the-art facility designed to meet the needs of beef cattle research at NDSU well into the future. The center allows NDSU to accomplish the vast array of research needed to meet the challenges of 21st century beef cattle production. The complex consists of a feeding area, animal handling area, calving pens, office and laboratory space, and feed storage and mixing area covering 22,900 sq. feet.
- NDSU Great Plains Land-Grant Summit commemorating the 150th Anniversary of the Morrill Act.
The Morrill Act, establishing land-grant institutions in the U.S., was signed into law by President Lincoln in 1862. This law created opportunities for millions of citizens to have access to higher education. This was a revolutionary thought at the time, but one that was needed for the country to grow and take advantage of the Industrial Revolution and the Agricultural Revolution that occurred in the 19th century. Also, this and other legislative acts, principally the Hatch Act in 1887 and the Smith-Lever Act in 1914, along with the Second Morrill Act in 1890 and the 1994 Higher Education Reauthorization Act established the land-grant system with which we are now so familiar.
- This year also marked the 125th anniversary of the Hatch Act, the federal legislation establishing the state Experiment Stations.
- H. R. Lund Atrium Dedication - Dec. 19, 2013. Because of H. Roald Lund's outstanding leadership in agricultural research and academics at NDSU, the name of the atrium in Loftsgard Hall was changed to the H. R. Lund Atrium.
- NDAES Research Greenhouse Complex Dedication - Nov. 13, 2015. The NDAES held a dedication to celebrate the completion of the last phase of construction on the NDAES Research Greenhouse Complex. The NDAES Research Greenhouse Complex is a state-of-the-art facility designed to meet the needs of plant research at NDSU. It was constructed using a combination of state dollars and private donations, which totaled $33.5 million - $28.5 million in appropriated funds and $5 million in donations.
- Dr. Greg Lardy named Acting NDAES Director
- Senator Bill Bowman Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory naming - Nov. 8, 2019. www.vdl.ndsu.edu/bill-bowman-veterinary-diagnostic-laboratory/
- Longtime NDSU administrator, Ken Grafton, retires June 30, 2020 https://www.ndsu.edu/news/view/detail/59116/
- Dr. Greg Lardy named Vice President for Agricultural Affairs, CAFSNR Dean, NDAES Director, NDSU Extension Director
- Jack Dalrymple Agricultural Research Complex renaming ceremony - August 20, 2021. www.ag.ndsu.edu/news/newsreleases/2021/aug-16-2021/ndsu-greenhouse-complex-renamed
- Peltier Complex groundbreaking ceremony - November 19, 2021. https://ndsufoundation.com/news/2021/11/peltier-complex-groundbreaking
- Dr. Frank Casey named Associate Director of the North Dakota Agricultural Experiment Station
AES Director's Office
|Atanda, Sikiru Adeniyi
|Big Data Predictive Modeler
|Associate Director, North Dakota Agricultural Experiment Station
|Emeritus Assistant Director, NDAES
|AES Software Developer
|Florez, Didier Murillo
|NDAES Big Data Research Statistician Developer
|Heilman-Morales, Ana Maria
|Director - Big Data Pipeline Unit
|Extension Application Development and Analytics Engineer
|VP for Ag Affairs; Dean-CAFSNR; Director-NDAES; Director-Extension
|Big Data Hardware & Software Specialist
|Assistant to the Vice President for Agricultural Affairs
|Ag Technology Executive Project Manager
|Big Data Software Engineer