This healthy recipe comes from NDSU Extension.
- 1 lb. extra-lean ground beef
- 1 medium yellow onion diced finely
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups chopped green cabbage
- 2 medium carrots quartered and sliced
- 4 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 3 (8-ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 large potato
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 Tbsp. light brown sugar (or less to taste)
- 2 Tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
- In a large pot brown ground beef until 165 F is reached when measured by a food thermometer. Drain fat as needed.
- Add diced onion and minced garlic and cook for another two to three minutes, until onions are tender.
- Add in chopped cabbage, carrots, tomato sauce, beef broth, bay leaf and brown sugar and stir to combine.
- Peel and chop potatoes into 1-inch cubes. Add to soup.
- Bring soup to a simmer and let cook for about 25 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
- Take out the bay leaf and sprinkle with chopped parsley.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.