This healthy recipe comes from NDSU Extension.
- 2 Tbsp. canola or sunflower oil (or favorite oil)
- 2 pounds chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 c. onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. garlic, minced
- 3 (15-ounce) cans low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 (10-ounce) cans diced tomatoes with cilantro and lime
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (4-ounce) can green chili peppers
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 c. Monterey jack cheese, shredded
- Optional: tortilla chips (broken into pieces)
- Optional: sliced avocado
If diced tomatoes with cilantro and lime are not available, substitute fire-roasted diced tomatoes and add the juice of one lime and 1/2 cup chopped cilantro.
In a large pot, heat the oil and add chicken breast. Cook until the chicken is no longer pink. Add onion and garlic and continue to saute until chicken is fully cooked. Add the chicken broth, tomatoes, green chilies and beans and, simmer for 25 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired. Ladle into bowls and top with cheese, tortilla chips and sliced avocado, if desired.