Pumpkin Chickpea Curry
Traditionally, curry is a South Asian dish seasoned with spices.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- ½ pumpkin or squash, chopped into chunks
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small piece of fresh ginger, minced
- 2 tablespoons yellow curry powder
- 5 ounces spinach
- 1 (14-ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 (13-ounce) can low-fat coconut milk
- Lemon juice, if desired
- Sea salt, pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons cashew nuts
- 1-2 tablespoons sesame seeds
Heat the coconut oil in a pan or wok. Sauté the pumpkin and onion for about three minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic, ginger and curry powder and cook for about one to two minutes longer. Then add coconut milk, bring to a boil and simmer 10 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Add spinach and chickpeas and simmer for five minutes until the spinach has wilted. Add a little water, as needed. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, if you like. Serve with rice (or other grain of your choice) and top with cashews and sesame seeds.