Content | Navigation |

Putnam Hall

Description

Putnam Hall (Carnegie Library) had its beginnings in 1903 when B. F. Spalding, Representative at Large for North Dakota, wrote to Andrew Carnegie (1) requesting $35,000 to $40,000 to build a library and chapel for the North Dakota Agricultural College (2) (NDAC). James Bentram, Carnegie's private secretary, responded saying that Carnegie was not dealing with colleges at this time but the letter would be kept for later reference (Bentram to Spalding 17 February 1903). President Worst (3), NDAC President, wrote to Carnegie on 2 February 1904 requesting $50,000 for a library and chapel that could seat 1,000 students on the second floor and have the first floor devoted to the library. Bentram responded positively about the library and inquired about other buildings on campus, the amount of money spent on upkeep of the current library, the number of students enrolled on the 14th of December for the last three years, and the needs of the students and faculty. The letter included a postscript saying that a chapel would not be considered by Carnegie (Bentram to Worst, 10 February 190

Street Address

1349 12th Avenue Northwest
Fargo, ND 58102

Directions

Find Putnam Hall on Google Maps

Printable map

Putnam Hall PDF Map


[Admin Login]


Student Focused. Land Grant. Research University.

Follow NDSU
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • RSS
  • Google Maps
Mobile Site.

North Dakota State University
Phone: (701) 231-8011
Physical address: 1340 Administration Ave., Fargo, ND 58102
Mailing address: PO Box 6050, Fargo, ND 58108-6050
Site Manager: NDSU Webmaster

Last updated: Wednesday, November 09, 2011 12:42:50PM