Welcome to the NDSU Counseling Center!
Accredited by the International Association of Counseling Services, Inc.
The mission of the Counseling Center is to encourage individuals to develop their unique potential by providing services and programs in a supportive environment.
The NDSU Counseling Center provides a confidential setting in which students may explore concerns of a personal, academic, or career-related nature; makes referrals; and serves as consultants for faculty and staff. Students in counseling can explore a variety of concerns which may prevent them from functioning at their optimum levels.
We are sensitive to the needs of students of diverse backgrounds, cultures, ethnic groups, ages, and ability, and are LGBTQ affirming.
Scheduling An Appointment
- Individual and Group Counseling for NDSU students, free of charge.
- Location: 212 Ceres Hall
- Phone number: 701-231-7671.
- Hours during the school Year: M/W/F 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. and T/Th 8:00 a.m.-7:00 p.m.
- Hours during summer and school breaks: M-F 7:30 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
NDSU Counseling Center Video--"A Quick Guide to Counseling"
Groups, Classes and Workshops Fall 2015!
- Pawsitive Relaxation with our therapy dogs
- Recovery Support Group (alcohol and other drugs)
- Meditation for Stress Management and Focus
- Graduate Student Support Group
- Mindfulness Workshop
- Mental Health First Aid Training
See our Groups and Classes page for details (details for some groups TBA shortly)!
Counseling Center Open House
The NDSU Counseling Center will be holding its annual fall open house and “mental health ndsu” event on Tuesday, October 13th from 3:30 – 5:00 PM. Event highlights include:
- "Pawsitive" Relaxation. This new Center program will be expanded for the day and Open House participants will have a chance to spend time with one of six Fargo/Moorhead area certified therapy dogs.
- Stress Reduction Kits. The first 50 student attendees will receive free stress reduction kits.
- The chance to meet the Center’s staff, tour the Center, and learn about Center services.
All members of the NDSU community are invited and encouraged to attend the Open House. The Center is located at 212 Ceres Hall.
Meditation for Stress Management and Focus
- The Counseling Center's Meditation for Stress Management Group (ongoing since 2001), offers an opportunity for NDSU students, faculty and staff to learn and practice mindfulness meditation for increased awareness, presence and well-being. Informal, friendly environment--all levels welcome!
- View our Meditation & Mindfulness Page, including general information, suggested readings and links to online audio meditations.
- Link to podcast of Jon Kabat-Zinn interview on NPR's "On Being".
Brief Alcohol and Screening and Intervention for College Students is a service available for students who want to explore their alcohol and other drug use. It is designed to assist students in examining their own behaviors in a judgment-free environment. BASICS may be required when a student violates NDSU policy in regards to alcohol and other drugs.
Edu 123 Study Skills Class
Edu 123 is a one-credit graded course that helps students develop skills necessary for successful academic achievement.
Edu 124 Career Planning Class
Career Planning is a one-credit course helps students make satisfying decisions regarding college majors and careers.
Check Out These External Links...
APA Help Center American Psychological Association's Public Information help center.
North Dakota Department of Health Suicide Prevention Web Site Designed specifically for information about suicide prevention and other issues associated with suicide.
Virtual Pamphlet CollectionStudent Counseling Virtual Pamphlet Collection.
TutorND Free online tutoring for all ND residents and students at NDUS institutions! Get FREE help from expert tutors online. Improve your confidence, skills, and grades.
A site that offers mental health information especially for college students, including:
- A self-screening program for you to take if you are concerned about your own emotions or those of a friend
- A program that will answer your questions about mental health issues
- A vast mental health resource library
In addition, check out Ulifeline's new partnership site with mtvU, Half of Us
We discourage people from contacting us via e-mail regarding personal problems. The nature of e-mail is such that we cannot guarantee the confidentiality of your correspondence, nor do we find e-mail communications as useful as in-depth, face-to-face contact. Moreover, we cannot guarantee that we will read e-mail right away or respond in a timely fashion.
North Dakota State University Counseling Center
Location: 212 Ceres Hall
Mailing Address: NDSU Dept. 5120, P.O. Box 6050 Fargo, ND 58108-6050
Phone: (701) 231-7671
ND Relay: (800) 366-6888
Fax: (701) 231-6318
For emergency/crisis contact information, please see our Crisis Intervention Page
Stress and Depression Assessment
Graduate Student Training Position Application
Graduate Career Assistant Position
Sexual Assault Prevention Programs
Veterans and Military Student Services
Division of Student Engagement and Inclusion
Counseling Center Organizational Chart