Instructor: Ross F. Collins, Professor of Communication, North Dakota State University, Fargo
Begin with the warmup video, "The Drama of Editing." You know it's important. But is editing dramatic?
Introductory grammar video: "Ross's Big 5." Learn grammar in a (virtual) outdoor classroom.
Poster: Grammar Walks into a Bar....
Poster: The 10 Commandments of Logic.
Weird Ways of News: an online textbook.
- Reading One: Editors and how they work.
- Reading Two: Why editing is important.
- Reading Three: A view of reality.
- Reading Four: An editor's constraints.
Sneaky word list.
Proofreader's marks (PDF file).
- Reading five: Editing nuts 'n bolts.
- Reading Six: Proofreading, AP Style, grammar. Includes four videos cover aspects of grammar!
- Reading Seven: Word clutter.
- Reading Eight: Using quotations.
- Reading Nine: Avoiding clichés.
- Reading 10: Strong leads, active voice.
- Reading 11: Writing concisely.
- Reading 12: The big picture: what is a fact?
- Reading 13: Editing for the Web.
- Reading 14: Writing headlines and headings.
Design and makeup:
New! English: the packrat's dream. Ross's five top controversies of English grammar.
10 Common Typographic pitfalls
Includes keystroke combinations for quote, dash, and other substitutions.
Midterm exam review.
Summer session final exam review.
Regular session final exam review.
"A Few Rules."
Need a pagination demo by video podcast? Check out Ross's InDesign videos. Choose from the five-minute tutorials below.
How they used to look: famous mass media, 1674-1974.
Return to resources page.