Senior Lecturer of Sociology
Office: Minard Hall 428C12
- Ph.D., South Dakota State University, 2007
- M.S., North Dakota State University, 2002
- B.S., North Dakota State University, 1988
Leretta Smith's research interests have focused on family and education. Gender has been a key factor in those studied. Both her master's thesis and dissertation focused on those studies. Dr. Smith's goals are to continue doing research if and when time permits with her teaching schedule. Teaching students to think and apply sociological concepts and the sociological imagination are her top priorities.
Dr. Smith grew up on a farm in northwest Minnesota. She is active in community organizations. She enjoys reading, playing piano, writing poetry, and spending time with her family that lives in the FM area.
- Sociology 110, Introduction to Sociology
- Sociology 417, Sociology of the Family (online)
- Sociology 439, Social Change
Other classes taught but not at NDSU:
- Courtship and Marriage
- Social Inequality/Stratification
- Rural Sociology
- Minority Group Relations