Bachelor of Art Education
Art Education is offered as a degree through the Visual Arts Department In collaboration with the NDSU School of Education. The program is led by Assistant Professor Eric Syvertson, who prior to NDSU was a 10+ year veteran teacher within the West Fargo School District. The mission of the Art Ed program is developing excellent K-12 artist-educators with a focus on professional practice, community engagement, technology integration and advocacy for the arts and design fields. Teacher candidates are prepared to teach and lead within and outside the school setting. Teacher candidates get the best of both worlds: content and studio courses with faculty in the department of Visual Arts and professional education courses from faculty in the School of Education (SOE). We develop excellent artists with a foundation to become impactful teachers. A minimum of 120 credit hours are needed for graduation.
Degree Type: B.S. Minimum Degree Credits to Graduate: 120
UNIVERSITY DEGREE REQUIREMENTS
- Satisfactory completion of all requirements of the curriculum in which one is enrolled.
- Earn a minimum total of 120 credits in approved coursework. Some academic programs exceed this minimum.
- Satisfactory completion of the general education requirements as specified by the university.
- A minimum institutional GPA of 2.00 based on work taken at NDSU.
- At least 36 credits presented for graduation must be in courses numbered 300 or higher.
- Transfer Students: Must earn a minimum of 60 credits from a baccalaureate-degree granting or professional institution.
- Of these 60, at least 36 must be NDSU resident credits as defined in #7.
- Within the 36 resident credits, a minimum of 15 must be in courses numbered 300 or higher and 15 credits in the major field of study.
- At least 36 credits must be NDSU resident credits. Resident credits include credits registered and paid for at NDSU.
For complete information, please refer to the Degree and Graduation Requirements section of this Bulletin.
DEGREE REQUIREMENTS AND NOTES
- Courses taken P/F may not be used to satisfy any requirements.
- GPA of 2.75 or better in the teaching specialty is required for placement in student teaching and exit from the program.
- A grade of ‘C’ or better is required in all Professional Education Requirement courses.
- A GPA of 2.75 or better in professional education as well as passing the appropriate Praxis II exam are required to exit the program.
- See School of Education for admission requirements.
- For more information, please refer to Official Program Curriculum