Savory Pumpkin Soup
This healthy recipe comes from NDSU Extension.
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp. chopped sage (~10 leaves)
- 4 c. low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 (15-oz.) can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 (15.5-oz) can navy beans*
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- ½ tsp. nutmeg
- ½ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. pepper
- Dried cranberries, pomegranate seeds and/or sage for garnish (optional)
In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, until translucent. Add garlic and sage, and cook for another minute. Add vegetable broth, pumpkin, beans, turmeric, nutmeg, salt, and pepper, and stir to combine. Bring to a simmer. Allow the soup to cool before transferring in small portions to a blender to puree. You may use an immersion blender too. Transfer the soup back into the pot and let cook on medium-low heat for 5 to 10 minutes. Add additional salt and pepper to taste. Garnish as desired.
*Adding additional beans and pumpkin will change the consistency. If a thicker consistency is desired, add more beans and pumpkin.