The first permanent building on the North Dakota Agricultural College (NDAC) campus was College Hall, also called the Administration Building, but more commonly known as Old Main. In February 1891, the North Dakota State Legislature appropriated $25,000 to erect the structure. The cornerstone was laid in 1891 and tradition has it that at the dedication no flag was available, so a student made a makeshift pennant with a pair of overalls (Bison 1950, pp.15-16). Construction of the lower levels were completed by the end of 1891 and on January 3, 1892, the institution opened its regular work in its permanent home, and enrolled 123 students for the term (First Biennial Report of the Board of Directors, 1891-1892, p. 6). An additional $3,000 was appropriated in the next legislative session to complete the building and by the summer of 1893, it was considered completed.
1340 Administration Avenue
Fargo, ND 58102
Offices and departments located in Old Main