Dr. Trung B. Le
- PhD in Civil engineering (Computational Fluid Dynamics, Applied Math), University of Minnesota, Minneapolis,
- MS in Civil engineering (Water Resources Engineering), Asian Institute of Technology, Bangkok, Thailand
- BS in Civil engineering, Thuy Loi University, Hanoi, Vietnam
Hydraulics, Fluid Mechanics, Numerical Methods for Fluid-Structure Interaction
Before joining the North Dakota State University in September 2018 as an Assistant Professor at the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Dr. Trung Bao Le has worked at several universities including the University of Minnesota, Stony Brook University, Thuy Loi University and the Medical College of Wisconsin/Marquette University.
After completing his Bachelor degree, Dr. Trung Bao Le has worked on several projects on flood/drought forecasting in Hong River Basin supported by the government of Vietnam. As the center work of his Master Thesis, he worked on the non-point source water quality problem in Cong River Watershed of Thai Nguyen province. During his doctoral thesis at the University of Minnesota, he works on developing new computational methods for fluid-solid interaction using high performance computing techniques.
His research focuses on fundamental phenomena in fluid mechanics and hydraulics with interests at variety of temporal and spatial scales. His techniques involve the development for scalable numerical algorithms that can run from desktop computer to supercomputers to study such problems. In particular, the main theme is studying vortex structures resulted from fluid-structure interaction processes. His main contributions so far are:
• The first high resolution simulation of blood flow in human heart using patient-specific Magnetic Resonance Imaging data
• The first study of transition from vortex ring formation to turbulence inside brain aneurysms
• Fluid-structure interaction of implanted heart valve (mechanical and tri-leaflet valves) in anatomical aorta
• The first high resolution simulation of non-circular vortex rings from inclined nozzles
• Perform the first high resolution validation of brain aneurysms hemodynamics using volumetric three-dimensional three-components velocity measurement data
Dr. Trung Bao Le has severed as the reviewer for 14 international journals including Biomechanics and Modeling in Mechanobiology, Journal of Computational Physics, PLOS ONE, Annals of Biomedical Engineering (ABME), Cardiovascular Engineering and Technology (CVET), Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, European Journal of Mechanics – B/Fluids, Computer & Fluids, Experiments in Fluids, He is the recipient of national and international awards including VIFOTEC (Ministry of Science and Technology - Vietnam), Gallery of Fluid Motion (American Physical Society - Division of Fluid Dynamics). He is also a fellow of Vietnam Education Foundation.