CENTER FOR SCIENCE & MATHEMATICS EDUCATION (CSME):
The Center for Science & Mathematics Education (CSME) supports and promotes active-learning based science and mathematics education programs for youth statewide and individuals who teach those youth.
CSME provides the infrastructure to support multiple K-20 science, mathematics, and engineering education (STEM) projects that are collaborative in nature. We host and facilitate competitive STEM projects and events for K-12 students. View a list of our projects.
The North Dakota State Board of Higher Education established the Center for Science and Mathematics Education on March 19, 1998. Initial support came from the NDSU College of Human Development & Education and the NDSU College of Science & Mathematics. Today, the NDSU School of Education also provides programmatic support. Funding in support of our collaborative grant efforts comes from the National Science Foundation (NSF), National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Education, and other federal/state agencies.
Individuals, organizations, and agencies interested in enhancing the relationships of STEM disciplines to education are encouraged to contact us.
Goals and Objectives:
- Provides an infrastructure for the operation of multiple science and mathematics education projects.
- Promotes collaboration with other North Dakota institutions to implement a statewide plan for the improvement of undergraduate teacher preparation and graduate professional development for science and mathematics teachers.
- Provides opportunities for faculty and students to become involved in K-16 science and mathematics education projects.
- Supports the ongoing efforts of individuals, departments, and groups of faculty involved with K-12 activities such as Governor's School, Science Olympiad, and other science/math functions.
- October 1, 2015 - ND Science Olympiad registration Opens
- March 24, 2016 - ND Science Olympiad Valley City Regional Tournament
- April 8, 2016 - Avenues of Scientific Discovery
- April 16, 2016 - ND State Science Olympiad Tournament
- CSME recently became part of the new Office of Teaching and Learning.
- Dr. Lisa M. Montplaisir received the 2015 NDSU College Paul Juell Award for Excellence in Mentoring.