Downtown Fargo has a lot of events and activities for NDSU students to enjoy. With its close proximity to campus, downtown will give you great shopping, restaurants and local art.
“Being so near to downtown Fargo is awesome,” said Ashley Guerrero, a respiratory care major from Moorhead, Minnesota, who graduated in 2020. “It’s a great place to meet up with friends for lunch or a study date after class.”
Known for its variety, downtown has noteworthy restaurants and entertainment. Food options include Asian, Mexican, Southern United States, Italian and others from around the world. There also are ice cream and coffee shops, with plenty of quiet places to study.
If you enjoy art, there are several galleries, museums and activity-based art shops. Gallery 4, Dakota Fine Art, Plains Art Museum and Spirit Room all are terrific attractions for NDSU students to enjoy during their free time.
Local acts regularly play live music at venues around the region, including downtown. The Fargo Theatre is a place where students can experience a movie in a unique setting. The beautifully-restored theatre was built 1926 as a cinema and vaudeville stage.
Downtown also hosts frequent street fairs and parades.
All of the fun is easily accessible from the NDSU campus.
“I have even been able to use the Bike Share program to get around downtown. I really like the area because of the great mix of places. Some have been around for generations, and there’s a number of growing, new businesses that are popping up all over,” said Rachel Vogl, a 2020 graduate in civil engineering from Becker, Minnesota. “The variety of things to do downtown makes it worth visiting, and they keep you coming back.”
Here are a few other spots to consider:
- Black Coffee and Waffle Bar is a great setting for students to socialize and do homework.
- Scoop • N • Dough is a popular spot to enjoy ice cream and edible cookie dough.
- Fly Fitness is a studio for students looking to engage in cycling, strength, cardio or yoga.
- The downtown library has a lot of resources, ranging from study rooms to movies to digital book lending.
- Island Park which is a great place to spend some time under the trees or playing basketball or tennis.
- Broadway Square has greenspace to enjoy during the warm months and free skating during the wintertime.
- There’s free Wifi downtown with more than 10 different access points thanks to Midco in cooperation with the Downtown Community Partnership and the City of Fargo. Search for the "MidcoXstream" network and connect.
Start your NDSU Experience today.