The objectives for the minor in religion include:
For individuals who
Want to examine religious traditions historically and culturally.
Coursework based around religious texts, rituals, belief systems and history. Reading-intensive and discussion-based classes.
- Human Resources
- Social Research Analyst
- Cultivate foundational knowledge of the history, rituals, scriptures, and beliefs of major world religions.
- Critically interpret representations of religious movements and religious conflict found in popular culture, the arts, and news media.
- Analyze the complex historical, political, and cultural backgrounds of global and historical religious movements and conflicts.
- Designed for students to comprehend how religion can foment both social justice and acts of violence, complacency and rebellion, liberation movements and imperialism, compassion and tyranny.
- Apply historical, anthropological, sociological, and literary methods to religious phenomena, including texts, images, material objects, institutions, theologies, and movements.
- Respectfully debate the role of religion in public life and politics.