- Restoration ecology
- Application of remote sensing to natural resources management
- Study of natural resources management problems in a socio-ecological setting including urban systems
- NRM 150, NRM Orientation
- NRM 453/653, Rangeland Resources Watershed Management
- NRM 420/620 Sustainable Scenarios in Natural Resources Management
- RNG 452/652 GIS in Range/NRM
- NRM 701 Terrestrial Resources Management
Recent Grants and Research:
Different Seed Mix Used for Vegetating Pipeline Construction Corridors in Native Grasslands with Alliance Pipeline L.P.
- Bonnell, K., Hargiss, C., Norland, J. (2018). Understanding how large metropolitan/inner city, urban cluster and rural students perceive food systems. Urban Agriculture and Food Systems, 3.
- Hargiss, C., Graber, K., Prischmann-Voldseth, DeSutter, T., Norland, J., Gnoinsky, A. (2017). Comparison of methodologies for field application of road dust. Water, Air, and Soil Pollution, 228(220), 1-8
- Graber, K., Hargiss, C., Norland, J., DeSutter, T. (2017). Is oil-well produced water effective in abating road dust? Water, Air, and Soil Pollution, 228(11), 449-456.
- Rischette, A., Norland, J. (2017). Germination Characteristics of a Native Non-Indigenous Prairie Forb in Prairie Plantings. Ecological Restoration, 35(4), 296-298.
- Zitnick, K., Norland, J., Del Rio Mendoza, L., Fortuna, A.-M., Nelson, B. (2017). Probability models based on soil properties for predicting presence-absence of Pythium in soybean roots. Microbial Ecology, 74, 550-560.
- Hargiss, C., DeKeyser, E., Norland, J., Ell, M. J. (2017). Comparing tiers of a multi-tiered wetland assessment in the Prairie Pothole Region. Wetlands Ecology and Management, 25, 639-647.
- Creuzer, J., Hargiss, C., Norland, J., DeSutter, T., Casey, F., DeKeyser, E., Ell, M. (2016). Does Increased Road Dust Due to Energy Development Impact Wetlands inthe Bakken Region? Water Air and Soil Pollution, 227(1).
- Dose, H. L., Fortuna, A. M., Cihacek, L. J., Norland, J., DeSutter, T., Clay, D. E., Bell, J. (2015). Biological indicators provide short term soil health assessment during sodic soil reclamation. Ecological Indicators, 58, 244-253.
- Norland, J., Larson, J. t., Dixon, C., Askerooth, K. (2015). Outcomes of past grassland reconstructions in North Dakota and Northwestern Minnesota: Analysis of practices. Ecological Restoration, 33, 408-147.
- Fasching, S., Norland, J., DeSutter, T., DeKeyser, S., Casey, f., Hargiss, C. (2015). The use of sediment removal to reduce phosphorus levels in wetland soils. Ecological Restoration, 33, 131-134.
- Fasching, S., Norland, J., DeSutter, T., DeKeyser, E., Casey, F., Hargiss, C. (2015). The Use of Sediment Removal to Reduce Phosphorus Levels in Wetland Soils. Ecological Restoration, 33(2), 131-134.
- Meyers, L., DeKeyser, E. S., Norland, J. (2014). Differences in spatial autocorrelation (SAc), plant species richness and diversity, and plant community composition Applied Vegetation Science, 17, 53-62.
- Norland, J., Fasching, S., Dixon, C., Askerooth, K., Kelsey, K., Wang, G. (2013). Reduced establishment of Canada thistle (Cirsium arvense) using functionally similar native forbs. Ecological Restoration, 31, 144-146
- Paradeis, B., S. Lovas, A. Aipperspach, A. Kazmierczak, M. Boche, Y. He, P. Corrigan, K. Chambers, Y, Gao, J. Norland and T. DeSutter. 2012. Dog-park soils: Concentration and distribution of urine-borne constituents. Urban Ecosystems DOI 10.1007/s11252-012-0264-1.
- Meehan, M.A., E.S. DeKeyser, K K. Sedivec, and J. E. Norland. 2012. Nutritional composition of Sprengel's sedge (Carex sprengelii). Canadian Journal of Plant Science 92:867-871.
- Higgins, Kenneth F., Kurt J. Jenkins, Gary K. Clambey, Daniel W. Uresk, David E. Naugle, Jack E. Norland, and William T. Barker. 2012. Vegetation Sampling and Measurement. In Nova Silvy, editor. Techniques for Wildlife Investigations and Management. 7th Edition. The Wildlife Society.
- Norland, J., S. Fasching, C. Dixon, K. Askerooth, K. Kelsey, and G. Wang. 2013. Reduced establishment of Canada thistle (Cirsium arvense) using functionally similar native forbs. Ecological Restoration, 31:144-146.
- Meyers, L., E.S. DeKeyser and J.E. Norland. 2013. Differences in spatial autocorrelation (SAc), plant species richness and diversity, and plant community composition in grazed and ungrazed grasslands along a moisture gradient, North Dakota, USA. Applied Vegetation Science. DOI: 10.1111/avsc.12040.
- Grygiel, C.E., J.E. Norland, and M.E. Biondini. 2009. Can Carbon and Phosphorous Amendments Increase Native Forbs in a Prairie Restoration Process? A Case Study in the Northern Tallgrass Prairie (U.S.A.). Submitted to Plant Ecology; 9 June 2009.
- Grygiel, C.E. , J.E. Norland, and M.E. Biondini. 2009. Precision Prairie Reconstruction (PPR): A Technique for Increasing Native Forb Species Richness in a Few-Culture Grass Matrix. Ecological Restoration. 27:459-67
- Samuel, L.W., D. R. Kirby, J. E. Norland, and G. L. Anderson. 2008. Leafy Spurge Suppression by Flea Beetles in The Little Missouri Drainage Basin, USA. Rangeland Ecology and Management. 61:437-443.
- Norland, J.E., L.R. Irby, and C.B. Marlow. 1985. Determination of optimum bison stocking rate in Theodore Roosevelt National Park, North Dakota. J. Environmental Management 21:225-239.
- Singer, F.J., and J.E. Norland 1994. Niche relationships within a guild of ungulate species in Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming, following release from artificial controls. Canadian J. Zoology 72:1383-1394.
- Norland, J.E., F.J. Singer, and L. Mack. 1996. Effects of the Yellowstone fires of 1988 on elk habitats. pages 223-232 in J.M. Greenlee, editor. Ecological implications of fire in greater Yellowstone. International Association Wildland Fire, Fairfield, WA
- Irby, L R., J.E. Norland, M.G. Sullivan, J.A. Westfall Jr, and P Anderson. 2000. Dynamics of green ash woodlands in Theodore Roosevelt National Park. The Prairie Naturalist 32:77-102.
- Irby, L.R., J.E. Norland, J. Westfall Jr, and M. Sullivan. 2002. Evaluation of a forage allocation model for Theodore Roosevelt National Park. J. Environmental Management 64:153-169.
- Singer, F.J., M.B. Coughenour, and J.E. Norland. 2004. Elk biology and ecology before and after the Yellowstone fires of 1988. pages 117-139 in L.L. Wallace editor, After the fires: the ecology of change in Yellowstone National Park. Yale University Press, New Haven, CT.
- Mirik, M., J. E. Norland, R. L. Crabtree, and M. E. Biondini. 2005. Hyperspectral One-Meter-Resolution Remote Sensing in Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming: I. Forage Nutritional Values. Rangeland Ecology and Management 58:452-458.
- Limb, R. F., K. R. Hickman, D. M. Engle, J. E. Norland, and S. D. Fuhlendorf. 2007. Digital Photography: Reduced Investigator Variation in Visual Obstruction Measurements for Southern Tallgrass Prairie. Rangeland Ecology and Management 60:548-552.
Honors and Memberships:
- Member Phi Kappa Phi, 2006-present
- Member Scientific Advisory Council, Yellowstone Ecological Research Center, 1997-present
- Member Society for Range Management, 2004-present
- BS Wildlife Biology; Iowa State University; 1978
- MS Range Science; Montana State University; 1984
- Ph.D. Natural Resources Management; North Dakota State University; 2008