Savory Rice Pilaf
Pilaf is a savory dish which can be made with rice or wheat.
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 cup onion, fresh, peeled, ¼ inch diced
- 1 cup brown rice, parboiled, uncooked
- 1 tablespoon almonds, chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt (or less)
- 1 teaspoon allspice, dried and ground
- 1 teaspoon turmeric, dried and ground
- 1 teaspoon curry powder, dried and ground
Black pepper (to taste)
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- Nonstick cooking spray
Preheat oven to 350 F. Heat oil on medium high in a large skillet. Add onions and sauté until tender, about three minutes. Reduce heat to medium. Add uncooked rice, almonds, salt, allspice, turmeric, curry powder and black pepper. Stir constantly until rice is yellow and almonds and seasonings are lightly toasted, about one to two minutes. Do not burn. Stir in vegetable broth. Increase heat to medium high and bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Lightly coat a 9- by 13-inch baking dish with a nonstick cooking spray. Spread mixture evenly into the baking dish. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes or until liquid is fully absorbed. Fluff the rice gently with a fork.
Note: If using a rice pot, use the pot’s rice and liquid measurements to make 3 cups rice.