Temporary Medical Conditions
Courtesy Service 


Students enrolled at NDSU may at some time seek assistance in accessing the learning environment due to a temporary medical condition. Temporary medical conditions are ones that are expected to be resolved in a matter of weeks or a few months; e.g., a broken arm, or a broken leg or infectious mononucleosis. 

 As a courtesy service, we will address each request and offer assistance when circumstances allow.  However, the university does not have an obligation to provide these services under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).  The Americans with Disabilities Act applies to services and approved accommodations for eligible students with disabilities.

Disability Services will attempt to assist students experiencing temporary medical conditions in their efforts to remain in the university setting.  It is the student’s responsibility to access and follow the “Temporary Medical Conditions” steps listed below.  Disability Services cannot guarantee services will be provided in all situations.

In the event a student is hospitalized, the student would contact the Office of the Vice Provost for Student Affairs and Enrollment Management, 701-231-7701. Office personnel will notify faculty members of the situation. This notification does not mean the student will be excused from class.  No retroactive notice of absence will be sent by the Student Affairs and Enrollment Management office.

Students needing assistance with temporary medical conditions are encouraged to follow the steps listed below:

Step 1:          

If the student is unable to make his/her own arrangements for specific needs, the student can contact Disability Services at 701-231-8463 to request assistance.  The student will need to complete the Request for Assistance with Temporary Medical Conditions.

A supporting statement from the treating professional will be submitted to ndsu.disability.services@ndsu.edu or can be faxed to 701 231-8520, including the following information on appropriate letterhead:

1.       Identify the relevant limitations of the condition, such as “cannot walk more than 30 feet”

2.       State an approximate length of time the student will be impacted, if possible.

3.       The student will also submit a copy of his/her current class schedule along with the request.             

The student will be expected to make his/her own arrangements for assistance when possible.  Examples of this include, but are not limited to, asking a roommate for transportation, seeking notes from another class participant, and asking the faculty to locate a scribe for an exam.

Step 2:                      

In addition to filling out the Request for Assistance with Temporary Medical Conditions form, the student can contact the NDSU offices listed below for consultation regarding specific needs.             

Temporary accessible parking permit

Campus Parking Office, 1801 15th Ave. N., 701-231-5771

Persons with short-term medical conditions or injuries (six weeks maximum) may purchase an accessible parking permit at NDSU Parking and Transportation Services. Appropriate written verification of need from your physician is required.

Equipment such as wheelchairs/crutches

Through local health care accessory providers.

Step 4:                       

If the medical condition prevents the student from attending classes for an extended period of time, the student will need to contact each of his/her instructors to explain the absence, share the professional’s written statement about the condition, and determine the time frame to make up the work. Each instructor will advise the student on how the absence will affect the student’s grade and whether it is feasible to remain enrolled in the class.

If a student needs to withdraw and the deadline for Withdrawing to Zero Credits has passed, a Missed Deadline Appeal needs to be completed (if grades for the term are not yet posted to record), or a Retroactive Withdrawal Appeal (if grades have been posted to record for the term).  The student should be prepared to file any medical documentation that supports the reason he/she was not able to complete the classes or drop by the published deadline for the semester in question.  Please contact the Office of Registration and Records at 701-231-7981 with any questions about these processes. 

Please contact Disability Services at 701-231-8463 with any further questions about temporary medical conditions.


Top of page