General Education Committee
The General Education Committee is a standing committee of the Faculty Senate with the following responsibilities:
- Review new general education courses to ensure and validate that the general education outcomes are being met.
- Complete the revalidation of courses and experiences on a periodic, five-year timeline to ensure that general education outcomes are being met. The course revalidation should be staggered to review approximately 20% of the general education courses each year.
- Review General Education Appeal petitions.
- Develop and maintain a plan for assessment of General Education Program-level learning outcomes.
- Conduct periodic assessment of students’ attainment of general education learning outcomes.
- Develop a university policy governing the policy and procedures for general education revalidation
- Perform other appropriate duties as assigned by the Senate.
- Selecting two representatives and one alternate for the North Dakota General Education Council.
Courses, existing or new, can be proposed through CourseLeaf using the following syllabi formats based on the categories for which you are submitting in:
- Humanities & Fine Arts or Social & Behavioral Sciences Category A or B
- Communications Category C
- Cultural Diversity or Global Perspectives Category D or G
- Quantitative Reasoning Category R
- Science Category SN-SP
- Technology Category ST
- Wellness Category W
Revalidation of courses approved for General Education happens approximately every five years. To revalidate a course, departments submit course proposals through the CourseLeaf system. The proposal requires a syllabus in the correct format category, including the general education outcomes, and the assessment/evaluation methods that will be used to determine if the outcomes are met. To see the evaluation rubric please refer to General Education Rubric 2018.
The course undergraduate learning outcomes identify the learning outcomes across the on the general education categories.
The committee limits the time period for General Education course review and validation to the fall semester.
The committee also reviews student appeals for exceptions to General Education Requirements. Submission deadlines are November 15 (fall semester) and April 15 (spring semester).
Currently, the committee is collaborating with the University Assessment Committee for coordinating periodic assessment of students’ attainment of intended student outcomes in general education.
The committee does not meet over the summer.
More information can be found on the General Education Archive.
General Education Committee Members
AHSS: Holly Hassel
Business: Dan Hsu
CSM: Clayton Hilmert
AFSN: Jack Norland
HSE: Nick Redenius
HP: Karla Haug
Engineering: Pratap Kotala
Director of Assessment and Accreditation: Jeff Boyer
Office of the Registrar: RaNelle Ingalls
Office of the Libraries: Hallie Pritchett
Office of Institutional Research: Emily Berg
Undergraduate student: Maryam Al-Kaabi