How to Apply to Graduate Certificate Programs
Application to a graduate certificate program requires submission of the following materials. All the materials are submitted to the Graduate School.
- A completed NDSU Graduate School application.
- A $35 application fee.
- Official copies of your transcript (grade report) from each college or university you’ve attended or are attending, including all undergraduate and graduate work.
- Transcripts are considered official only if they arrive in a sealed envelope from the issuing institution.
- For international students, certified English translations must also be included.
- You do not need to submit transcripts for prior NDSU coursework; the Graduate School will obtain NDSU records already on file.
- A statement of purpose that outlines your reasons for pursuing graduate study, including special interests within your chosen discipline and any relevant skills and experience you have acquired.
- A TOEFL or IELTS test score — required of all applicants whose native language is not English.
- The score must be submitted before your application will be considered.
- To be considered for admission, you must have achieved a minimum score of 525 (paper-based), 197 (computer-based), or 71 (internet-based) for the TOEFL, or a minimum score of 6 for the IELTS.
- The test date must be within two years of the date of your application to the Graduate School.
Construction Management, Merchandising, and Public Health applicants must also submit three letters of recommendation.
After Submitting Your Application
Once the Graduate School has received a complete application, it will be forwarded to the department for review. Each graduate program makes its own recommendation, but the final admission decision is the responsibility of the Dean of the College of Graduate and Interdisciplinary Studies.
The NDSU Graduate School application procedure places responsibility on the applicant to gather all supporting credentials and verifying that the application file is complete. The deadline for submission is dependent upon the program. If no deadline is listed on the program's bulletin page, all application materials are due at least one month prior the start of the semester.