In addition to submitting an Application for Admission and being admitted to NDSU, most international student applicants (those in F-1 or J-1 student status) must also submit evidence of financial support to study at NDSU.
The process may vary for undergraduate versus graduate level students, but below is a summary of the steps a new student must follow to obtain a new immigration document.
Visit our Cost Information page to find out the following information:
- Minimum amount of finances needed? View the Estimate of Expenses, for international undergraduates or graduates
- What type of documents do you accept? Review the Financial Documentation Guidelines to understand what types of financial documentation are acceptable for issuance of your F-1 or J-1 immigration document.
- How much is tuition at NDSU? View the link to NDSU's tuition/fees website.
|Type of Student||Form Name||Where is this form located?|
|ALL INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS SEEKING AN I-20 OR DS-2019||Complete the Financial Responsibility Statement||Forms page|
|Are you a SEVIS Transfer Student?|
SEVIS Transfer-In Eligibility Form
NOTE: To be completed ONLY by students transferring their I-20/DS-2019 from another SEVIS school within the U.S.
|Graduate Students only||Graduate Immigration Checklist||A link to this form will be sent to you within about a day of confirming your enrollment with the Graduate School.|
|Type of Student||Process for submitting financial documentation|
|New Undergraduate||See our international undergraduate admission FAQ|
|New Graduate Student||You will receive instructions from the international student advisor assigned to your case, as part of the "Graduate Immigration Checklist" process.|
We will email a signed copy of your I-20 to your email address as listed in SEVIS. Print this out, and sign it yourself. You can then use it as your original for your visa appointment or for travel purposes. An electronically signed and transmitted I-20 can be utilized and there is no requirement for us to mail the hardcopy to you.
We cannot email DS-2019s. To have your document mailed to you, you must request DS-2019 Express Mail.
Are you a SEVIS Transfer Student?
Are you a SEVIS transfer student? Please follow our instructions to begin the process to request a SEVIS transfer from your current institution. After that process is complete, we will mail you a copy of your new NDSU I-20.
Important Reminders for all F-1/J-1 Students
- All students seeking initial entry into the United States on a student visa must apply for their visa at the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate abroad.
- You must also pay the I-901 SEVIS fee at fmjfee.com. You must carry receipt of this to your visa appointment.
- If you need your SEVIS ID and the NDSU School Code (for I-20s) / NDSU Program Number (for DS-2019s), it is printed directly on the immigration document we provided to you.
If you are a Canadian citizen, you are not required to apply for an F-1 visa stamp before entering the U.S., but the I-20 is still required, and you must also pay the I-901 SEVIS fee and carry proof with you upon your entry.