RWJ Executive Nurse Fellow, 2002-2005
Rural health issues
Professor, School of Nursing
Registered Nurse, North Dakota
Registered Nurse, Minnesota
HOPE Project Reports: Youth Education & Employment Survey Results
- Devils Lake
- Fort Yates
- Four Winds
- New Town
- Turtle Mountain
- White Shield
Building, Filling and Proving Nursing Pipeline - HPOG University Partnership Research Grant Reports
- Building, Filling, and Proving the Nursing Pipeline Year 1
- Building, Filling and Proving the Nursing Pipeline Year 2
- Building, Filling and Proving the Nursing Pipeline Year 3
- Building, Filling and Proving the Nursing Pipeline Year 4
- ND American Indian Nursing Workforce Practice Brief: SON 2013-01
- Essence of Healing: Journey of American Indian Nurses: This documentary showcases the lives of 14 nurses who live and work in the Upper Great Plains. While their lives and stories are different, they all share a common theme – their past life experiences and American Indian heritage have made them extraordinary healers. This documentary is narrated by Hattie Kauffman, former ABC news correspondent and member of the Nez Perce Tribe.
- North Dakota Nurses: Making a Difference in People's Lives
- Full video (19 min): http://youtu.be/Uz2t-bMlG_g
- 4 min: http://youtu.be/7Zekwz_X-xU
- 1 minute: http://youtu.be/sNEMLQBjVoY
- 45 sec.: http://youtu.be/i0ug3zWBPl8
- Voices of American Indian Nurses: Recruitment/Retention of American Indians into Nursing (short): https://youtu.be/2VUHN1DdTxI
- Voices of American Indian Nurses: Recruitment/Retention of American Indians into Nursing: https://youtu.be/tVK6ZkhQMkk
- Voices of American Indian Nurses: Next Steps Program (short): https://youtu.be/BnXXFNf7gck:
- Voices of American Indian Nurses: Next Steps Program: https://youtu.be/4nquFenCbxM
- Voices of American Indian Nurses: Registered Nurses: https://youtu.be/wgwTkjLqEBo
- Voices of American Indian Nurses: Licensed Practical Nurses: https://youtu.be/_0kmimIhGRE
Selected Refereed Journal Articles (Full list on CV)
Derrett, S., Gunter, K.E., Samaranayaka, A., Singer, S.J., Nocon, R.S., Quinn, M.T., Breheny, M., Campbell, A., Schaefer, C.T., Heuer, L.J., & Chin, M.H. (2017). Development and testing of the provider and staff perceptions of integrated care (PSPIC) Survey. Medical Care Research and Review, DOI: 10.1177/1077558717745936.
Weintraub, J., Walker, J., Heuer, L., Oishi, M., Upadhyay, K., Huang, V., Lindquist, C., Cushman, L., Ripp, J. (2015). Developing capacity for the American Indian health professional workforce: An academic-community partnership in Spirit Lake, North Dakota, Annals of Global Health, 81(2). DOI: 10.1016/j.aogh.2015.03.009.
Baig, A.A., Locklin, C.A., Campbell, A., Schaefer, C., Heuer, L.J., Lee, S.M., Solomon, M.C., Quinn, M.T., Vargas, J.M., Burnet, D.L., & Chin, M.H. (2014). Community health center access to resources for their patients with diabetes. Journal of Immigrant Minority Health, 16, 553-558. DOI: 10.1007/s10903-013-9775-y.
Baig, A. A., Benitez, A., Locklin, C.A., Campbell, Schaefer, C.T., Heuer, L.J., Lee, S.M., Soloman, M.C., Quinn, M.T., Burnet, D.L., & Chin, M.H. (2014). Community health center provider and staff’s Spanish language ability and cultural awareness. Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved, 25(2), 527-545. DOI: 10.1353/hpu.2014.0086.
Wilkes, A.E., John, P.M., Vable, A.M., Campbell, A., Heuer, L.J., Schaefer, C., Vinci, L., Drum, M.L., Chin, M. H., Quinn, M.T., & Burnet, D.L. (2013). Combating obesity at community health centers (COACH): A quality improvement collaborative for weight management programs. Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved, May 24.2 Suppl. DOI:10.1353/hpu.2013/0101
Baig, A.A., Locklin, C.A., Campbell, A., Schaefer, C.T., Heuer, L.J., Lee, S.M., Solomon, M.C., Quinn, M.T., Vargas, J.M., Burnet, D.L., & Chin, M.H. (2013, January). Community health center access to resources for their patients with diabetes, J Immigrant Minority Health. DOI 10.1007/s10903-013-9775-y.
Chien AT, Kirchhoff AC, Schaefer CT, Huang ES, Brown SE, Heuer, L., Graber J., Tang H., Casalino L.P., & Chin, M.H. (2010). Positive and negative spillovers of the health disparities collaboratives in Federally Qualified Health Centers. Medical Care, 48(12), 1050-1056. DOI: 10.1097/MLR.0b013e3181f37d46.
Lindseth, G., Yurkovich, E. & Heuer, L. (2010). Establishing a center for behavioral research. Nursing Outlook, 58(2), e17-e-18. DOI: 10.1016/j.outlook.2010.02.114
Zhang, J.X., Huang, E.S., Drum, M.L., Kirchhoff, A.C., Schlichting, J., Schaefer, C.T., Heuer, L.J., & Chin, M.H. (2009). Insurance status and quality of diabetes care in community health centers. American Journal Public Health, 99(4), 742-747. DOI: 10.2105/AJPH.2007.125534.
Chin, M.H., Kirchhoff, A.C., Schlottauer, A.E., Graber, J.E., Brown, S.E.S., Rimington, A., Drum, M.L., Schaefer, C.T., Heuer, L., Huag, E.S., Shook, M.E., Tang, H., & Casalino, L.P. (2008). Sustaining quality improvement in community health centers: Perceptions of leaders and staff. Journal of Ambulatory Care Management, 31(4), 319-329. DOI: 10.1097/01.JAC.0000336551.67922.2f.
Cheung, K., Moiduddin, A., Chin, M., Drum, M., Brown, S., Graber, J., Heuer, L., Quinn, M., Schaefer, C., Walters, A., & Huang, E. (2008 April/June). The perceived financial impact of quality improvement efforts in community health centers. Journal of Ambulatory Care Management, 31(2), 111-119. DOI: 10.1097/01.JAC.0000314701.50042.0b
Graber, J., Huang, E.S., Drum, M.L., Chin, M., Walters, A.E., Heuer, L., Tang, H., Schaefer, C., & Quinn, M. (2008). Predicting changes in staff morale and burnout at community health centers participating in the health disparities collaboratives. HRS: Heath Services Research, 1-21. DIO: 10.1111/j.1475-6773.2007.00828x.
Book Chapter (In Press)
Heuer, L., Lindquist, C., Klug, M.G. & Leff, M. (In press). Cultural competency in workforce development: Perspectives from a rural, Native American Project. In C. King & P. Young Hong (Eds.), Pathways to Careers in Healthcare. Kalamazoo, MI: Upjohn Institute Press