Frequently Asked Questions for New Graduate Students


You have been admitted to a graduate program in the College of Health and Human Sciences (HHS) at North Dakota State University.  You are a part of HHS because your graduate program is in a department housed in this College, a College of “programs that cover the human lifespan”. The purpose of these frequently asked questions is to help you as a new graduate student get quick access to key information that will help you get started at NDSU. Your program advisor is the best source of information about your specific graduate program. These frequently asked questions focus on the broader questions related to the campus, community, and your experience as a graduate student.

Recently, we surveyed our graduate students to learn what was most helpful for them to learn and what they wished they had known as a new graduate student at NDSU. Their responses helped us to develop these Frequently Asked Questions.

The NDSU Graduate School also has information for first-year graduate students and a list of Frequently Asked Question.  This document is intended to complement information at those sites. The Graduate School pages include general information on what to expect in graduate school and the role of both the graduate school and your advisor/department. Look especially at the information under The Role of the Department and Advisor on “Things to do before you arrive on campus”. We hope you will find the FAQs below helpful.

Where Do I Get A Student Id?

The NDSU ID Card (student ID) must be obtained on or before your first day of classes.  The card can be obtained in the Memorial Union on Campus through the NDSU Card Center. The card is required for many NDSU services.  Look online at NDSU Card Center site for more information on obtaining a card and the various uses of the card.

How Do I Find A Place To Live When Attending Ndsu?
What Technology Is Needed For Being A Graduate Student?

Information Technology Services site has information to help you set up an NDSU account. This will allow you to then get an email account, get started on Blackboard (online learning system) and get information on Internet access, technology training, etc. (through this same site). You will be allowed to set up your account, email, etc. as soon as you receive a letter from the graduate school indicating that you have been admitted.

I Am From Out Of Town But Would Like To Register For Classes Before Coming To Fargo. How Can I Register?

Registration can be done online. Instructions for registering can be found on the One Stop page. It is crucial that you visit with an advisor prior to registering. Incoming students can register for classes as soon as they see the term on Campus Connection. Appointment times (when assigned) can be found in Campus Connection's 'Student Center'. Locate the 'Enrollment Dates' box on the right side and select 'details'. This is where specific appointment start times can be found.

If you have questions about registering, contact:

Office of Registration and Records
NDSU Dept. 5210 / P.O. Box 6050 / Fargo, ND 58108-6050
(701) 231-7981 (local) / 800-608-NDSU (toll free) /

What Are The Options For Financial Aid And Assistantships?

Financial support for graduate students includes assistantships, scholarships/fellowships, grants, and loans.  Students can apply for grants, loans, and some scholarships through the NDSU Student Financial Services. Some scholarships are also available through the College of Health and Human Sciences site

Learning My Way Around Campus And The Community

Check out the comprehensive list of support and resources listed on the NDSU Grad School Student Support Services page.

How Can I Find Childcare In Fargo?

On campus child care option is available for graduate students. 

How Do I Get A Parking Permit And Where Can I Park On Campus?

The Parking and Transportation Services website provides maps of parking lots on campus and has a guide for how students can purchase parking permits. Permits can be ordered online but students must be registered for classes 24 hours or more prior to online registration.

Do I Need A Car?

A car is not essential for attending NDSU. Metropolitan Area Transit System (MATBUS) is free to NDSU students and runs between main and downtown campuses and throughout the community. 

What Is Proper Attire For Winter And How Do I Manage In The Winter?

Winter in Fargo can be beautiful and also hazardous. Being prepared for bad weather is important. Check out the Ag Hub Winter Weather page for more information.

What Additional Things Should I Do Before I Come To Campus?

Take a tour of the library website:

Learn about the Graduate Center for Writers:

Learn more about your program and department. All programs within the College of Health and Human Sciences can be linked through:

Visit with your assigned advisor.  Contact information for faculty members in each department is available on the department/school website. See the departments under

How Do I Find Health Care Services In Fargo?

You can search for doctors in Fargo at:

On campus, the Student Health Service located at the Wallman Wellness Center, 18th Street and Centennial Boulevard, Fargo, ND 58105. Phone: (701) 231-7331. Chek out their services at

And dentists at:

What Supports And Opportunities Are Available To Military And Veterans?

NDSU Military and Veterans Services are administered by the Office of Registration and Records. Please call and visit a VA representative at . Look for the “Customer Account Services” in Ceres Hall building on the campus map

What Supports And Opportunities Are Available To International Students?

The Office of International Student and Study Abroad Services at NDSU offers a variety of services and information on topics ranging from health insurance to employment opportunities. The office staff can advise potential students on immigration requirements. 

What Supports And Opportunities Are Available for Diverse Grad Students?

NDSU is committed to supporting diversity among students and faculty/staff. Education, training, and support are available through the NDSU Equity and Diversity office. This office supports multicultural programs, LGBTQ programs, Tribal College Partnerships, and other activities to encourage campus diversity.


Top of page