Adding Family Members

F-2 Dependents

Coverage is not required for F-2 dependents but it is highly recommended. If the F-2 is enrolled at NDSU in credits, coverage is required just as it is for F-1s. 

How to Enroll F-2 Dependents

Step 1: Complete the Dependent Coverage Request Form on the UHCSR website and receive a control number. You can use the control number to track processing.

Step 2: Receive an email from UHCSR with a payment link once your primary F-1 student enrollment is processed. Your dependent premium is separate from your NDSU student account.

Step 3: Check your dependent's coverage in the UHC Student Resources app. The effective date will be the date you requested the control number or the date your policy starts, whichever is sooner.

J-2 Dependents

Because the policy through UnitedHealthcare is required as per NDSU's J-1 program designation and U.S. State Department guidelines for the entire period of your and your dependents' stay in the United States, the timing of your dependents' travel to the U.S. is very important.  Coverage must be reserved in advance by pre-registering all dependents each semester to avoid any gaps in coverage or immigration status issues. 

J-1 students requesting to bring family members must complete the Dependent Request Form on our Forms page. The primary J-1 and all J-2 dependents must be on the same insurance policy (family insurance with the J-1 student as the primary policy holder, through the same insurance plan through UHCSR). This is to ensure NDSU's compliance with the federal regulations of the U.S. Department of State under 22 CFR 62.14.

Qualifying Life Events

With a qualifying life event, UHCSR pro-rates amount down to a monthly rate until the next official enrollment period when the full amount for the next term would be due.

The following are considered "Qualifying Life Events" and coverage must be added within 31 days of these changes below:

  • Birth of a new baby
    • A newborn child is covered under the parent’s policy for the first 31 days after birth.
    • You must contact UHCSR Customer Service to add coverage for your child. The child’s own coverage would not be effective until 31 days after the birth.
  • Any dependent entering the U.S. for the first time - or- marriage to a new spouse:
    • Contact your international student advisor for a "Qualifying Life Event" form - this form has directions on how to enroll your family member(s). You must submit this form within 31 days of your family member entering the U.S. or within 31 days of your marriage.

Please email us at to request a Qualifying Life Event form from our office. An advisor will then be in contact with you with information about the form. J-1 students: You must submit this form at least 1 month prior to family members entering the U.S. because they must be insured from the date of arrival.


Contact UnitedHealthcare Student Resources

If you have any questions about the process for adding a dependent or about the coverage for your dependent, please contact UHCSR customer service directly at 877-433-6667.

Costs for adding family members are found in the policy materials located at

Top of page