Frequently Asked Questions about your UHCSR Health Insurance

Where can I find details about my plan?

For up-to-date policy documents, or to log into your account, always visit:

How do I get my insurance card?

Once logged in to My Account, select ID Card Information, and you will be given two options: “Request Permanent ID card”  and/or  “View or Print ID Card." You can do both options, or you can also set up a mobile app on your phone through the UHCSR smartphone app. Search for "UHC StudentResources" for Apple or Android in the App Store or on Google Play to view your insurance card.

What is my policy number?

This policy number below is the same for all NDSU international students enrolled in this policy period.

In addition - each student always has an individual, unique, "SR ID #" that is also found on the card. This SR ID will remain the same for you each semester you remain enrolled at NDSU.


For the 2021-22 Academic YearFor the 2020-21 Academic Year
Dates of CoverageAugust 16, 2021 - August 15, 2022August 16, 2020 - August 15, 2021
Policy Number2021-262-42020-262-4


I need a document stating my UHCSR insurance is valid (or has expired). How do I request this?

Please call Customer Service at 1-877-433-6667 to request a "Certificate of Credible Coverage."

I need to see a doctor. Where should I go first?

Visit the Student Health Service, NDSU's on-campus clinic
Students should first seek care at Student Health Service if SHS is open

If no referral is received, the benefit will not be paid to you by UnitedHealthcare. There are a few exceptions to the referral requirement, and those will be noted below under “Visiting a Provider Off-Campus.” Please note the Student Health Service (SHS) benefit provides coverage at 100% for covered benefits (except Prescriptions which are subject to copays of $15/Tier 1, $50/Tier 2 and $75/Tier 3) when treatment is done at the NDSU Student Health Service, so it is usually much cheaper to get treatment on campus. 

Visiting a provider off-campus:

If you choose to visit a provider off-campus, you must first receive a referral from NDSU’s SHS to allow you to receive services off campus. If a referral is received, there is a $30 physician co-pay due at the time of service. Covered services are then covered at 80% in-network. Students only need to seek a referral for a particular condition once per benefit period (each benefit period runs by policy year, August 16th through August 15th of the following year). When the next policy year begins and you still have the same medical condition, you will need to visit SHS again first and receive another referral.

Using the NDSU Pharmacy

Please click here to find out more about using the NDSU Pharmacy and what services are provided. Please note the UHCSR policy is accepted at the NDSU Pharmacy.


How does the NDSU Clinic bill my insurance?

The NDSU Clinic bills insurance. This means that NDSU Student Health Service will submit the claim to insurance for you. Any patient responsibility charges (including co-pays or non-covered services) are posted to the student’s account. It is the responsibility of the student to pay these charges. The NDSU Pharmacy currently also bills insurance for prescription claims and will continue to do so. Please see the following section about the NDSU Pharmacy.

Click here to visit the NDSU Student Health Service website to find out more about how services are billed to your student account in CampusConnection. 

The NDSU Clinic is closed. What do I do?

A referral is not necessary if the NDSU Clinic is closed

If you are sick and the NDSU SHS is closed and you require immediate medical care, please do not delay getting the help you need. A co-pay of $200 applies for Emergency Room visits but the $200 is waived if you are admitted to the hospital.

A referral from SHS is NOT necessary under the following conditions only, so please read carefully:

  1. Medical Emergency.  The student must return to SHC for necessary follow-up care.
  2. When the Student Health Center is closed.
  3. When service is rendered at another facility during break or vacation periods.
  4. Medical care received when the student is more than 50 miles from campus.
  5. Medical care obtained when student is no longer able to use the SHC due to a change in student status.
  6. Maternity, obstetrical and gynecological care.
  7. Mental Illness treatment and Substance Use Disorder treatment.

**Also please note that dependents do not need a referral. This is because dependents are usually not students and are thus not eligible to utilize the SHS services.

Where can I go for after-hours and emergency care?

Please click here to read information provided by NDSU Student Health Service regarding what to do, if you have an illness arise when Student Health Service is closed or when you have an emergency situation. Their page includes a list of off-campus providers that are available in Fargo-Moorhead for walk-in/urgent care and emergency services.

It is important not to delay care, if you have become sick or injured on the weekend or other times when SHS is closed.

No referral from SHS is necessary to visit an off-campus provider when SHS is closed or when you have an emergency. If your claim is incorrectly denied by UnitedHealthcare due to this type of a situation, please contact UHCSR customer service immediately.

I will graduate in May and know my insurance is valid through August 15th. Must I still get a referral from the NDSU Student Health Service?

If you graduate or are no longer enrolled at NDSU, you should contact NDSU Student Health Service at 701-231-7331 or via email at They will notify UHCSR that your student status changed and request to remove your referral requirement. If you are not an enrolled student, you are no longer eligible to use Student Health Service on campus so you must go off-campus for your health care needs. It is recommended you verify the provider/facility is in-network with UHC to ensure the best coverage. Your insurance coverage is valid through August 15th if you paid for Spring/Summer coverage on your NDSU student account. Please contact UHCSR Customer Service if your claim is incorrectly denied.

How do I find an "in-network" provider or pharmacy?

Search for a Provider

  • When searching, please choose "Medical Directory" or "Behavioral Health Directory" then
  • "Employer and Individual Plans"

Pharmacy Locator

While you are able to use these search engines to find "in-network" providers/pharmacies, remember that you should always start at NDSU's Student Health Service and obtain a referral before visiting an off-campus provider, unless they are closed or if it is an emergency. More information on the referral requirement is found above on this page.

Other Topics


I plan to graduate in May or am going home for the summer before classes start in the Fall. Can I get an insurance refund or pay only through May?

No, you are still required to pay the Spring/Summer amount in full. Also, refunds or waivers pro-rated for the summer period are not allowed. The insurance plan is considered non-refundable. If you are eligible to purchase it at the start of the semester, you remain eligible for the insurance throughout the remainder of the plan year (through August 15 of each year) even if you are not enrolled in summer classes.

Continuation Privilege

Some examples of situations where this may be an option:

If your UHCSR student insurance from NDSU is expiring, and you are no longer enrolled at NDSU and will have a gap in coverage because:

  • You are in F-1 status and your OPT is starting soon, but your insurance will not begin immediately.
  • You are in F-1 status and are receiving a change of status to H-1B and your insurance will not begin immediately.
  • Persons in F-1/F-2 status who are remaining in the U.S. during your 60-day grace period before leaving and want insurance.
  • Persons in F-1/F-2 status who or are transferring to another school and need gap coverage during this time and want insurance.

The continuation privilege will allow you to purchase up to a maximum of 3 consecutive months, but not longer than the current plan year. This is completely voluntary. You (and your dependents) can enroll for up to 3 months, and you pay for this coverage on your own.

Please note: The Continuation plan is an option to continue coverage under the University’s student insurance plan for up to 90 days for someone who no longer meets the eligibility of the school's plan.  This continuation plan is not an option for a current student of the university, nor is it an option for an international student to purchase coverage on a monthly basis.  International students must meet the insurance coverage criteria that is established by the North Dakota University System - The continuation plan does not meet that criteria.

To enroll if you qualify for this gap coverage, please contact UHCSR customer service and ask for a "Continuation Enrollment Form."

Enrollment is not handled through NDSU - you must submit the form and payment directly to UHCSR.

Pediatric Dental and Vision Coverage

Summary: Any person insured on the policy under the age of 19 has what is referred to under the current Affordable Care Act (ACA) as "Pediatric Dental and Vision" coverage. This is in addition to the usual health insurance coverage through the UnitedHealthcare StudentResources plan. This is considered an "essential benefit" for persons 18 years of age and younger and it's required to be given, and is a great benefit to have. However it is not available to persons 19 years of age and older. More information about this can be found in your policy documents found at questions? If you have any questions about pediatric dental/vision eligibility or coverage for persons younger than 19 years of age, please contact UHCSR directly.


I am not in F or J visa status. Must I still purchase the required insurance?

No - If you are a student in another visa status (such as H-1B/H-4, TN/TD, K, or any other non-immigrant visa status), please complete the following electronic form. You will be asked to also submit a copy of your immigration documentation (I-797 approval notice, visa, and/or I-94 record).

    Click here to access the form. Do not use this form if you are a student in F or J visa status

    NDUS Policy/Procedure 505 says that I can request a waiver of the insurance if I have comparable coverage. Where can I find more information on this?

    Please click here for more information on enrollment into the UHCSR plan, and waivers for students with already existing comparable coverage.

    Top of page