The Nursing Program online application will be available in mid-March (for fall admission) and mid-August (for spring admission). Application materials must be submitted to the School of Nursing by the application deadlines below:
- Fargo site: April 20 for both fall and spring program start
- Bismarck site: April 20 for fall admission, and October 20 for spring admission
Eligibility to Apply
- A minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.75 in college course work. Actual GPAs of admitted students are generally higher.
- Completion of the prerequisite courses with a grade of "C" or higher. Actual grades for prerequisite course of admitted students are generally higher.
Detailed instructions are provided with the online application. Students applying to the professional nursing program must:
- be admitted to North Dakota State University as a pre-nursing major (for the term of program start).
- For more information about applying to NDSU, visit NDSU Admissions
- complete the nursing program application (separate from NDSU application)
- complete application capacity fee & background check
- complete FlipGrid video response
- complete admissions test and an interview upon request
- provide any additional items as requested
Please note for the Fargo location: Fargo has one application per year in the spring semester. Students applying must have the prerequisite courses completed by the end of the spring semester (the same semester students apply).
A note for non-immigrant international students applying to the NDSU Nursing program: Applicants must choose the Fargo site. Due to U.S. federal immigration regulations, non-immigrant F-1 international students are not allowed to study at the Bismarck location. If you have questions about these restrictions before applying, please contact NDSU.Intl.Admissions@ndsu.edu for more information.
Please note for the Bismarck location: In order to be eligible for fall nursing program admission, the prerequisite courses must be completed by the end of summer semester prior to the start of fall semester. In order to be eligible for spring nursing program admission, the prerequisite courses must be in-progress during the fall semester prior to the start of the spring semester.
Selected Prerequisite Courses for Admission
The following courses must be completed prior to applying to the professional nursing major. The selected GPA is calculated on these courses.
- English 120 – College Composition II – 3 credits
- Communication 110 – Fundamentals of Public Speaking – 3 credits
- Psychology 111 – Intro to Psychology – 3 credits
- Sociology 110 - Introduction to Sociology OR Anthropology 111 - Introduction to Anthropology
Completion of a minimum of 8 credits (of the 19 credits required) in the science category is required. Preference will be given to those students who have completed 11 credits (or more):
- Chemistry 117 and 117L – Chemical Concepts and Applications and Lab – 4 credits (Equivalent courses are CHEM 115 and 115L – Introductory Chemistry and Lab – 5 credits)
- Biochemistry 260 – Elements of Biochemistry – 4 credits (An equivalent course is CHEM 116 – Introduction to Organic and Biochemistry– 4 credits)
- Microbiology 202 and 202L – Intro to Microbiology and Lab – 3 credits
- Biology 220 and 220L – Human Anatomy and Physiology I and Lab – 4 credits
- Biology 221 and 221L – Human Anatomy and Physiology II and Lab – 4 credits