For individuals who
Have a creative mindset and are interested in designing innovative solutions in a fast-paced global industry.
Coursework in design, market analysis, consumer behavior and merchandising. Hands-on experiences and creative learning practices.
- Fashion Designer
- Apparel Buyer
- Sourcing Specialist
The Department of Apparel, Merchandising, Interior Design and Hospitality Management offers graduate study leading to the Master of Science degree or a Graduate Certificate in Merchandising in collaboration with the Great Plains Interactive Distance Education Alliance (Great Plains IDEA). The Master’s degree in Merchandising is an online program offered through Distance and Continuing Education at NDSU. Participating faculty members from the Great Plains IDEA have jointly developed the merchandising curriculum. Course are taught by faculty within the Alliance from Kansas State University, North Dakota State University, Oklahoma State University, South Dakota State University, and the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.
The master’s degree in Merchandising is designed for professionals in a variety of merchandising fields to increase potential for advancing in their careers. Students in this program will learn in-demand skills such as data analysis, problem solving, and critical thinking to identify customer needs and develop effective business strategies. The fully online program allows students to complete course work while maintaining their professional careers.
The program builds the student's ability to complete the following essential merchandising-related job responsibilities:
- Analyze data using a variety of techniques
- Research and implement effective business strategies
- Design customer-focused product development strategies
- Create flexible promotional campaigns
- Balance the sustainable interests of businesses, consumers, and society
- Predict micro and mass-market cost controls
- Navigate trade regulations and recognize cultural concerns
- Understand the evolving standards of corporate social responsibility