Course changes include:
- activation and inactivation of existing courses
- revision of course bulletin descriptions
- revision of course titles
- changes in course numbering and prefix
- addition or deletion of course co‐/pre‐requisites
- addition or deletion of course restrictions (e.g., "junior standing")
- changing course credits
- requests for cross‐listing of courses
- requests to seek general education classification for an existing course
- requests to revalidate current general education courses
- requests to add a graduate section to an undergraduate course (e.g., 4/6XX)
The curricular review process for changes to existing courses includes the following approvals after the proposal is first initiated in CourseLeaf's Course Inventory Management (CIM) module:
- Department Chair or Head
- College Curriculum Committee
- College Dean
- General Education Committee (for general education courses)
- University Curriculum Committee
- Faculty Senate
All proposals for course changes require a recent syllabus.
- Open the CourseLeaf Course Inventory Management (CIM) module. You will need to authenticate using your NDSU electronic ID.
- Use the search feature to locate the existing course, then click on the course within the table of search results.
- Click on the Edit Course button. An electronic form will open in a new window.
- Complete the proposal information in the electronic form using various drop-down fields, radio buttons, and text boxes.
- Be sure to indicate whether the course is approved for the general education program.
- Be sure to provide a thorough justification for the proposed course change(s).
- Upload an updated course syllabus if substantive changes (see above) are included in the proposal. See Policy 331.1: Course Syllabus for details about information that should be included in a course syllabus.
- Upload any additional documents (for example, a letter of support from another department) that will be helpful as supporting documents.
- Click on the Save Changes button if you plan to return and make additional changes.
- Click on the Start Workflow button if the proposal is ready to begin the curricular review process.
Proposal initiators may access the CourseLeaf CIM module at any time to see the workflow progress and approval path for the proposed course changes by completing the first 2 steps listed above. Workflow and approvals will appear on the right side of the CourseLeaf interface.