Inventions, discoveries and emerging technologies are flowing through the innovation pipeline at NDSU. The office of Innovation and Economic Development (IED) works with the NDSU Research Foundation (NDSURF) to promote these inventions and protect the intellectual property (IP) rights therein.
A researcher can contact the IED team to discuss their research and secure guidance to determine if a technology is sufficiently developed to complete an invention reporting form. An invention reporting form should always be completed at least a month before any public disclosure of an invention is planned. Early reporting will provide adequate time for IED to review the invention and secure IP protection when appropriate.
Invention disclosures for technologies, plant varieties and horticulture cultivars can now be submitted through the NDSU Inventor Portal, an online, iterative, process that includes the ability to digitally sign invention disclosures. Accessing the portal is as easy as:
- Go to the NDSU Inventor Portal.
- Choose a User Name and Password.
- Click on the "Request Account" button.
- Enter your NDSU email address on the Request New Account page and type in the code from the CAPTCHA image. Click on the "Submit" button.
- Follow the instructions in the verification email to complete the process to set up an account.
For more information, review our Inventor Portal User Guide.