The Master of Athletic Training (MATrg) Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (CAATE). This professional program offers two unique options for degree completion. Didactic courses and clinical education focus on prevention, assessment, treatment and rehabilitation of injuries resulting from physical activity. The MATrg program prepares students to successfully fulfill the Board of Certification (BOC), Inc. requirements and earn the “ATC” credential.
Students can apply to the athletic training program through one of two ways. The first way is an accelerated 3-2 program. Students within this option complete an Undergraduate degree in Exercise Science and apply to the Master of Athletic Training Program in the Fall of their junior year.
Option 1: 3-2 Accelerated Program
· During years 1-3 students follow the NDSU Exercise Science/Dietetic guidelines and curriculum.**
· Students apply to the MATrg program through the NDSU Graduate School spring semester of the third year (typically Junior standing).
· Accepted students begin the MATrg program in June.
· During year 4 students complete both Exercise Science/Dietetic and MATrg courses. The Exercise Science degree is awarded in August.
· During year 5 students complete MATrg courses. Upon successful completion of all program and Graduate School requirements, the MATrg degree is awarded in May.
· This program is recommended for entering freshmen, student-athletes and transfer students interested in earning an athletic training degree at NDSU.
** Transfer students and students who change majors must follow the respective progrmam's policies and curriculum. This may extend the time line for program completion.
Option 2: Two-Year Program
Students who have a conferred Bachelor’s degree in a related field will follow the second option or a two-year program.
Students apply to the MATrg program through the NDSU Graduate School in the spring.
Accepted students begin the program in July.
Years 1 and 2 students follow the MATrg Plan of Study for Option 2
Upon success complete of all program and Graduate School requirements, the MATrg degree is be awarded in May.
- Students apply to the MATrg program through ATCAS (https://atcas.liaisoncas.com/applicant-ux/#/login) in the fall. Application review will begin on December 1st and will continue until all positions are filled.
- Accepted students begin the program in June.
- Students follow the MATrg Plan of Study
- Upon successful completion of all program and Graduate School requirements, the MATrg degree is be awarded in May.
Documents regarding the additional academic details can be found below: