All applicants must submit an official English proficiency test score or completion report that meets one of the posted levels (see chart below). All test scores are valid for two years, and score reports must be sent directly to NDSU.
Students not required to submit evidence of English proficiency:
- Students from the following countries are exempt: Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, the Bahamas, Barbados, Bermuda, Canada (except Quebec), Dominica, the Gambia, Ghana, Grenada, Guyana, Ireland, Jamaica, Liberia, Mauritius, Micronesia (Federated States of), New Zealand, Nigeria, Saint Lucia, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Trinidad and Tobago, United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland), Zambia, and Zimbabwe.
- Degree or diploma from an institution in which English was the language of both instruction and assessment.
- At least two (2) years of study, in good standing, at a post-secondary institution with English as the language of instruction and assessment
- At least two (2) years of study, in good standing, at a U.S. high school or regionally accredited U.S. college/university
- Students with less than 2 years of college-level courses can be exempt if they have successfully completed both English Composition 1 and 2 with grades of ‘B’ or higher.
- A U.S. General Education Diploma (GED) administered in English
If you meet the academic requirements for full admission, however, your English results are below the stated minimums, conditional admission is a path for entry into NDSU. Conditional admission allows you to begin in our Intensive English Language Program (IELP) and then proceed upon IELP completion into your major. Be advised that you must complete the IELP before taking courses in your major.
|Intensive English Language Program||Conditional Admission||Full Admission
First-year or Transfer
|40 IBT (or 433 PBT)||50 IBT (or 468 PBT)||71 IBT (or 525 PBT)|
|IELTS||4.0 Overall||5.0 Overall||6.0 Overall|
|Duolingo English Test*||70||80||100|
|Pearson's (PTE) Academic||38||42||50|
|ACT English subscore
(school code 3202)
|SAT Evidence-Based Reading
and Writing (school code 6474)
|ELS Language Center||Level 103 completion||Level 106 completion||Level 112 completion|
|Previous English Study||1 year with 70% average||--||--|
*We are now temporarily accepting the Duolingo English Test for summer and fall 2020 applicants.