All applicants must submit an official English proficiency test score or completion report that meets one of the posted levels (see chart below). All test scores are valid for two years, and score reports must be sent directly to NDSU.
Applicants not required to submit evidence of English proficiency:
- Applicants from the following countries: Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, the Bahamas, Barbados, Bermuda, Canada (except Quebec), Dominica, the Gambia, Ghana, Grenada, Guyana, Ireland, Jamaica, Liberia, Mauritius, Micronesia (Federated States of), New Zealand, Nigeria, Saint Lucia, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Trinidad and Tobago, United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland), Zambia, and Zimbabwe.
- At least two (2) years of study, in good academic standing*, at a post-secondary institution located in one of the countries listed above
- At least two (2) years of study, in good academic standing*, at a U.S. high school or regionally accredited U.S. college/university
- Applicants with less than 2 years of college-level courses can be exempt if they have successfully completed both English Composition 1 and 2 with grades of ‘B’ or higher.
- A U.S. General Education Diploma (GED) administered in English
*Please note: Because academic standing criteria vary across institutions and countries, ‘good academic standing’ implies an applicant’s marks are academically sufficient, meaning the applicant is not on probation, warning, suspension, nor have they been expelled from their educational institution at time of application. If degree has not yet been earned, applicant must remain eligible to continue enrollment or re‐enroll based on that institution’s standards.
If you meet the academic requirements for full admission, however, your English results are below the stated minimums, conditional admission is a path for entry into NDSU. Conditional admission allows you to begin in our Intensive English Language Program (IELP) and then proceed upon IELP completion into your major. Be advised that you must complete the IELP before taking courses in your major.
|Intensive English Language Program||Conditional Admission||Full Admission
First-year or Transfer
|60 IBT||60 IBT||71 IBT|
|IELTS||5.5 Overall||5.5 Overall||6.0 Overall|
|Duolingo English Test*||85||85||100|
|Pearson's (PTE) Academic||45||45||50|
|ACT English subscore
(school code 3202)
|SAT Evidence-Based Reading
and Writing (school code 6474)
|ELS Language Center||Level 107 completion||Level 107 completion||Level 112 completion|