Classroom/Building/Residence Hall Access

Students with disabilities seeking information about physical access to classrooms and/or buildings on campus are invited to contact Disability Services.  Students will open a file at Disability Services and are assigned a staff member who responds to access issues/needs reported by the student to resolve them.  For example, a student needing an adjustable- height table in a lecture hall would inform Disability Services of the need and staff would then notify the appropriate department on campus to ensure a suitable table is added to the designated room.

Students applying for housing on campus are encouraged to review room layouts on the Residence Life website,, and contact the Residence Life office with questions about physical living spaces to identify possible access issues or disability-related barriers. 

Requests for specific room formations based on a condition that may qualify as a disability are then submitted to Disability Services by the student with supporting documentation for initial review and processing.  Disability Services will provide a summary of considerations to Residence Life so an appropriate room assignment or arrangement can be made.

While students work with Disability Services to resolve disability-related access barriers specific to the limitations of their disability, they can also contact Facilities Management directly to report immediate concerns, such as an inoperable electronic door button or elevator issue.

Access to Grounds/Priority Snow Removal

Access to campus grounds is essential for all students.  One way NDSU works to ensure access to pathways on campus is through the priority snow removal process.  Students whose access may be affected by inclement weather, such as heavy snow or icy conditions are invited to share information about their typical travel routes on campus.  A map of combined routes is provided to the Facilities Management department to make these areas a top priority for clearing when harsh weather hits the campus community.  As is true with facility access, students are invited to report immediate concerns to Disability Services or to Facilities Management, directly, to seek a resolution to barriers related to campus grounds.

Top of page